Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any woo experiences of Glastonbury or Somerset they'd like to share?

(23 Posts)
roconnell Fri 03-Nov-17 21:03:14

Inspired by another thread on this board, I've been thinking about my experiences of growing up in Glastonbury as a child. I wondered if anyone had any experiences they'd like to share about the town, or about Somerset generally. Here's mine.

I lived in Glastonbury as a child for over 10 years and lived in two houses there. They both had a very dark 'presence' to them, there is no other way to describe it really. In the first house I felt generally uneasy, a near constant sense of being watched. We had a spare room and at the time it was full of junk, you know, toys, cardboard boxes, and paperwork. Normal stuff. Almost every night we would hear what sounded exactly like someone rifling through all our stuff. If you went in there though there was never anything to see, just the noise. It was a very unsettling feeling.

The second house was far creepier. I lived there until I was in my early teens, and several years after moving in that house developed such an intense sense of menace. I have never felt anything like it in any building before or since. It was a big three story town house that had once been divided into two flats (upstairs and downstairs) and a bedsit (attic). When it was converted back to one house the two kitchens remained. So we had a downstairs kitchen that was used normally, and an upstairs kitchen that we used to store old kitchen equipment in.

To me that upstairs kitchen had always had an odd feeling about it, but it was basically fine. Our dozy old Labrador didn't like it though, he would stand on the landing barking at it, hackles up. But we just ignored him. My sister and I used to play in it, but then when I was 10 years old it got some sort of inhabitant. A very powerful angry one. Again, we never saw what it was. Just heard it.

Something in that kitchen started moving pots and pans around. We would hear the noise at night, and sure enough, mum would check and pots and pans had been moved around. It started off like the normal sounds of someone cooking. We thought it was really strange, but a bit amusing to start with, we nicknamed him 'pots and pans man.' But then it particularly seemed to happen when my sister and I were on our own together in the house, she was older than me and would keep an eye on me while mum and dad were out in the evenings occasionally. 'Pots and pans man' got out increasingly out of control, whatever he/it was, kitchen stuff would be thrown around, stuff would hit the walls, plates would be smashed. And someone would scream, like a high pitched piercing scream, like a whooshing in the ears. It was like the kitchen was humming, vibrating, shaking the whole house. We could hear and see everything, but not who/what was causing it. It was like that kitchen became possessed. I never went in it ever again.

After this, the entire house was transformed. Such an awful bad feeling came over the house, I used to experience the most intense instinct to run out of my bedroom, past this awful kitchen, and down the stairs as fast as I could. The whole upstairs became virtually uninhabitable, everything about that house just screamed at us that we had to leave. My whole family felt the same way. We couldn't get out quickly enough after that.

It was easily the most frightening experience of my whole life. And it has made me incredibly wary about houses and buildings in my adult life, I will refuse to set foot anywhere where I don't like the initial vibe. I just googled that house and it came up on right move, there's no pictures of that kitchen, but the pictures of the house alone were enough to make me go cold.

I still can't stand going through Glastonbury now (I haven't lived there since childhood). I find the high street a very dead, soulless place, I always have. It's a place that makes me feel like I need to run.

If anyone has any other experiences of Glastonbury/Somerset I'd love to hear them.

junglebookisthebest Fri 03-Nov-17 21:08:01

I wanted to visit Glastonbury because I thought it would be a happy hippy place with a lovely positive energy. I found it dark, unfriendly and actually not positive at all. Never been back...

BlackandWhitepostcards Fri 03-Nov-17 21:14:54

My parents had friends who lived in Glastonbury when I was growing up. I never experienced anything like you describe (that's very scary!) but there is a real spiritual/woo vibe in the area. Every house in the street my parents friends lived had something woo-ish either in their front window or front garden - statues/symbols/wind chimes. There were a lot of shops selling things like spell books / wands etc.
I think there are a number of ley lines running through Glastonbury. I remember walking up Glastonbury Tor and just feeling this surreal other worldly type feeling if that makes sense. It's an interesting area for sure.

roconnell Fri 03-Nov-17 21:17:24

Junglebook - it certainly has never felt happy to me. Somewhere that I found happy/hippy is Totnes in Devon, just lovely.
It's so interesting to hear your experience, thank you.

roconnell Fri 03-Nov-17 21:20:48

Blackandwhite- that's interesting. I don't know very much about ley lines, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but can there be negative ley lines?

VoodooCat Fri 03-Nov-17 21:55:04

I'm from somewhere not far from Totnes. I agree, it had an amazing happy vibe about it.
I've also been to Glastonbury a few times and it's never been right to me.

Whiterabbitears Sat 04-Nov-17 01:33:00

I love Glastonbury and always feel welcome, I go a few times a year. I always feel very dizzy when I'm there though, I have to sit down a lot. I don't feel its sinister but I can't walk too far without feeling woozy, its an odd sensation. I do get vertigo but its much worse there.

fuckinguseless Sat 04-Nov-17 22:31:09

Glastonbury is weird. We’ve been there on holiday. There is a dark, eerie vibe to the whole place.

sparechange Sat 04-Nov-17 22:48:33

I grew up in Glastonbury from 8 til 18 and the only weird stuff I experienced was from people who had smoked waaay too much weed in the beer gardens of the Backpackers or Riflemans

And far too many newly-divorced women moving to the area to start afresh being taken advantage of

maxiflump1 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:56:27

Exactly what sparechange said. Just full of weed smoking weirdos!

iklboo Sat 04-Nov-17 22:56:27

Not woo exactly (or Glasto / Somerset) but I always felt really jittery & goose bumpy when we drove through Alderley Edge in Cheshire, even from being very young. I would tell my folks I was cold in the car and this I was scared. Then my dad told me the legend of Alderley Edge.

Legend Of Alderley Edge

I wonder if I'd heard my dad tell my mum about it one day when I was really little and I sort of remembered it. Still gives me shivers though.

Lj8893 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:04:09

I live near Glastonbury (well, 30 mins) and when I was a teen I used to have this recurring dream about a courtyard with a balcony, and I would go in the door on the balcony and then my dream would kind of go dark but something bad would happen.

The first time I went to Glastonbury, other than as a very young child, I walked into a courtyard and there was the balcony and door from my dream!! It's changed what it is over the years but the last time I visited it was a Goddess temple and I plucked up the courage to go in and they told me I wasent welcome blush

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 04-Nov-17 23:05:20

I was there today and it was even busier than usual. Then two dragons appeared on the high street. It turned out I'd gone on the day of their Samhain parade. The atmosphere was lovely though.

Lj8893 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:05:58

Generally I love the town though!

Gavisconbreath Mon 13-Nov-17 19:38:12

I've had some unusual experiences-mainly at the festival, which I put down to too much of the local cider! I won't mention them here as they are not for the faint hearted!

I really like it there even just visiting the town and don't feel anything sinister. I conceived my son after a visit. Maybe that was the leigh lines.

Visited Totnes pretty recently which was a bit more middle class and less rough n ready like Glastonbury, but there was a weed smoking paranoid consipiracy type lecturing some poor woman in a cafe. I was discussing with other half how some people realise the world isn't as it seems and go through that stage, but you need to get beyond it. I think the guy was talking loudly on purpose so he could 'enlighten' the entire cafe! I didn't really see that in Glastonbury, just lots of people dressed as fairies!

I think sometimes you just sense the history of somewhere. I guess in an old building you're more likely to feel something sinister.

Halebeke425 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:47:17

I live near Glastonbury and used to be really into it a few years ago. I was going through a rough time and feeling quite low, was signed off work for a while. I started visiting there during the day sometimes to get out of the house really, and I loved the feeling there I felt so happy comfortable and relaxed it felt like coming home. I started visiting regularly over the years and getting involved with stuff that was going on in the community, I even considered moving there. I genuinely think visiting somehow helped lift me out of the depression.

But then something changed. I hadn't been for a couple months and was feeling a bit down one day (can't remember why, nothing serious) and thought I'll go to Glastonbury, it always cheers me up. Well I went and had the complete opposite effect. I felt uncomfortable and irritated with it. I noticed, maybe for the first time the large amounts of 'down and outs' hanging around, druggies, alkies, homeless. I mean I'd seen them before but this time it was like I was really seeing properly. And it made me really depressed. I felt annoyed and angry at this supposedly enlightened community, all the money people spend on seeing clairvoyants, attending spiritual courses, buying all the witchy stuff in shops, and all these unfortunate souls that were just ignored and forgotten amongst it all. It suddenly just felt touristy and fake. I consider myself still to be a spiritual person, in my own way, but everything about it felt like a sham. I couldn't wait to get away I was meant to meet a friend but told her I couldn't make it.

Every time I go back now it no longer feels happy and welcoming. I still like visiting to go up the Tor and walks in the surrounding fields, my partner and I fell in love in Glastonbury so I still have lots of nice memories. But the atmosphere especially around the high street just feels heavy and depressing now, I can't seem to get back the way I used to feel.

Halebeke425 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:52:10

Forgot to add there is definitely some kind of tangible energy about the place. Maybe it feels good or bad depending on the individual. Even when I liked it I used to leave feeling drained and exhausted from it. I've never experienced it anywhere else. I liken it to using drugs to be honest, the first time you go you get this great hit and then you keep going back for more but can never replicate that same high!

MaybeDoctor Fri 17-Nov-17 11:03:57

I have only visited Glastonbury once - had lunch, went around the abbey and went home again.

The funny thing is, I didn't know that it was supposed to be a huge centre of woo/odd things and picked up absolutely nothing at all. I treated it as a National Trust visit and was mostly annoyed about the
long drive there, which the people we were meeting there (for their convenience) didn't acknowledge at all. Even the abbey, scene of horrible destruction, was happy and peaceful.

I am sometimes sensitive to places so do believe in this kind of thing, but I wonder if the mind/what we already know has more to do with 'woo' feelings than we might like to admit.

Thinkingofausername1 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:37:58

I’ve been there once. I’m quite sensitive to atmosphere’s and would rather walk around my hometown in the dark; then go back there. blush

lottieandmia22 Sun 26-Nov-17 16:07:34

I’ve heard so many people say that Glastonbury is like this, ie dark and eerie. Isn’t it a place where people do a lot of Witchcraft.

ScaryMonstersAndSuoerCreeps Sun 26-Nov-17 16:13:33

I went to school under The few times we climbed up there I found it unsettling.... The boarding boys were made to run up and down The Tor as a punishment!!!!

ScaryMonstersAndSuoerCreeps Sun 26-Nov-17 16:14:05

Under The Tor*

Littlechocola Sun 26-Nov-17 16:25:47

I went there on honeymoon. The marriage ended badly wink
I wasn’t impressed, cheap tat and a fake hippy vibe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now