Talk

Advanced search

Signs at the exact time someone dies

(38 Posts)
sluj Thu 11-May-17 19:18:37

During the early hours one morning this week the loft hatch in our bedroom swung down and the PIR sensor light in the loft came on shining a kind of shaft of light into the dark bedroom. DH remained asleep and I got up to push the hatch closed with the pole and it crossed my mind to wonder if someone had died? I don't know why I thought that. In the 10 years we have lived here, the hatch has never done that before.

Later that day I heard that a friend from university 30 years ago had died that morning. We were not close and I had no idea what time he actually died though obviously I was sad to hear it.
It got me wondering if anyone had ever had signs like that when people died? I'm not saying my loft hatch was an actual sign but it got me wondering .

SaorAlbaGuBrath Thu 11-May-17 19:21:57

I worked in a care home 15 years ago and was very close to one of the residents, a nun named Margaret Mary. I was at home on a day off when my then SIL called to say Margaret Mary had died, and when I looked out of the window the rain had stopped and the biggest, brightest rainbow had appeared with those lovely shards of sunshine breaking through the clouds. I've always believed it was her.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 11-May-17 19:25:07

Our mantelpiece clock stopped when my dad died. It's odd as in why? Why would a clock stop. Maybe coincidence.

Supersmith Thu 11-May-17 19:26:20

Years ago when I was in the Brownies me and my sister where at a residential. I remember I suddenly burst into tears in the middle of the night, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
When me and my sister were picked up by my mum the next day, she told us that our dog had to be taken to the vets earlier that day to be put to sleep. We had no idea and we both have never really gotten over it.

Embolio Sun 14-May-17 00:02:48

My stepdads dad died while we were on holiday, they were estranged and although my stepdad knew he was ill he wasn't aware he was about to die iyswim. We were sat chatting/playing after dinner one night and a picture fell off the wall and smashed with this god almighty crash that made us all jump out of our skins. Step dad got a call the next morning to let him know his dad has passed away the previous evening around the time the picture fell. Freaked us all out to buggery anyway!

VanillaSugar Sun 14-May-17 00:04:43

Marking my place 👻👻👻

LedaP Sun 14-May-17 00:08:32

My grandad was in hospital. We knew he was dying. There was nothing thry could do.

I spent most of the time in the hospital with him. One night i came home for dinner and to get some rest. I went to lock up and there was a light in the kitchen like a candle had been lit in the corner of the kitchen. I went in and there was nothing there. I locked the door and went up stairs. 2 minutes later mum called and said grandad had passed away.

It made me feel better as though he had come to say goodbye.

Clutterbugsmum Sun 14-May-17 00:08:40

I've posted this before,

When my dad died, my dd2 (16mths) was a sleep in bed and I was asleep down stairs on the sofa (7mth pregnant) and I heard my front door open and shut. Once I checked dh hadn't come home early and dd2 was still asleep I phoned my mum to tell her dad had died.

She only believed me when my sister who was with my dad while he had a procedure at the hospice rang her to say he died suddenly at the exact time my door went.

Icequeen01 Sun 14-May-17 00:14:03

DH and I were both fast asleep in the early hours when our phone rang. DH picked it up but there was no-one there. About an hour later my DSis rang to say my died had died an hour earlier. When I asked if she had rung earlier she said she hadn't and no-one else would have known my dad had passed away so no-one else would have phoned. I've always thought that was a bit weird.

Perpetualstateofchaos Sun 14-May-17 00:14:51

My db was killed in an rtc nearly 8 years ago at the exact time he drew his last breath (early hours of the morning) I woke up randomly and new something was wrong. Six hours later my parents came round and gave me the most devastating news of my life. I believe my db was trying to contact me.

MyCalmX Sun 14-May-17 00:19:12

I had a very strange dream about my Nana who i was close to.It was just all very bright and I couldn't see her but I knew she was dying and I woke up crying. I told her in the dream she couldn't die as she hadn't met dh (who was dp at the time)

I was telling dm a few days later about my dream when she told me my Nana had been taken to hospital at that time and she had nearly died.

So when she did die a few years later I thought it strange I didn't get any sign.

MrsJamesMathews Sun 14-May-17 00:19:14

Why do these threads always have to start in the evenings? And why do I have to read them?!! 👻😬

Georgeofthejungle Sun 14-May-17 00:24:04

Nothing to add, but interesting reading.

Teabagtits Sun 14-May-17 00:25:12

I was mucking about with my then boyfriend when dog started barking like crazy at the window. There was nothing there. Let dog into garden to see if he'd continue but it was as if he was looking for someone but he stopped barking. Twenty minutes later my great aunt phoned looking for my dad who hadn't lived with us for a decade by then to tell him my grampa had died. I always wondered if he had come to see me before he went. More embarrassingly when the dog started barking I did a huge noisy (and quite painful) fanny fart. I hope that wasn't my grampas last experience of me

BusterTheBulldog Sun 14-May-17 00:27:09

I had a ring that was my grandads (who died before I was born) used to wear it as a thumb ring. Never, ever, ever took it off. The day my Nan died it just disappeared! I know that sounds mad, but it's true, didn't see it again. Hadn't done any washing up, vigiurous hand washing that day-it just went!

JennyTaylior Sun 14-May-17 00:57:40

DD was two years old when my dad was dying in hospital a couple of hours away. She was a terrible sleeper, and when she woke in the night she would yell and shout until I went in to her. Never settled herself back down. And I couldn't ever get back to sleep either.

I was hugely stressed, as you can imagine, with my lovely dad is such a bad way and all the driving back and forth, being with mum and so on. Because mum has a dodgy heart, we had agreed with each other and the hospital that nobody would call her until 7am, regardless of what happened overnight.

One night, DD woke up, shouting as usual, at exactly 2am. I was just about to get up for her when she said, "Oh. OK. Goodnight" and went quiet. At the same time, an immense feeling of peace and calm washed through me. never felt like that before. I knew he'd gone, but incredibly I went back to sleep. I woke again at exactly 7am, and for the first time ever, DD didn't wake up early. I was able to get a drink (hot chocolate seemed important at that time!) and waited for mum to call me.

Sure enough, Dad had died at 2am. DD later told me that she'd seen grandad at a tunnel lined with 'glow worms' and she wanted to go with him, but he wouldn't let her.

Last July my DFiance was fatally injured after falling from a great height. We were in Crete on the first night of our holiday. Despite massive brain trauma he was kept on life support as the hospital would only withdraw assistance when all blood tests were clear. Seven days later, on the eve of my planned departure, the lights in our holiday home started flickering. A short while later a doctor from the hospital rang to tell me they'd had to let him go. There were no plans to take him off life support that evening. Earlier on that day I'd gone to say goodbye as I felt that I had to focus on getting my DC home. I was terribly upset about leaving him in the hospital and flying home, even though I knew he wasn't ever going to recover.
I truly believe that he "decided to go" that night so that it would be easier to fly home. The lights flickering also were his way of saying goodbye. He died on our tenth anniversary, on what was supposed to have been a night of celebration.
Flying home without him was probably one of the most difficult journeys of my life. I bawled my eyes out in Athens airport, I had held it together for a week but it all became too much. On the descent into Heathrow the most beautiful rainbow appeared outside the window, that felt like a comforting sign.
There was also a very strange occurrence on my DS's first birthday without his Dad. DFiance's long lost (and replaced before his death) photo driving licence appeared seemingly out of the blue in my porch.
Maybe I'm attributing significance to random coincidences in a bid to gain comfort but I don't think I am. He had talked about giving me signs if he died before me . I think he did the best he could.

anon1987 Sun 14-May-17 02:08:05

My late grandmother always told me about the time her mother came to her In the night, and then she had the phone call early morning to say her mum had passed away during the night.

It's never happened to me, but the evening before my mums dog died ( he was mine originally but lived with my mum) I had the sudden urge to go and visit him.
I had my 3 dd in tow and i had picked them up from school and I was knackered, but I made a 10 minute trip to the pet shop to buy him a treat, and then went and sat with him for 5 hours, just stroking and hugging him and took lots of photos.

He passed away at 9:36am the following morning with my dad by his side after a funny turn (he was old). 😢

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sun 14-May-17 14:49:53

GhostInTheBackOfYourHead flowers

thank you SaorAlbaGuBrath

Georgeofthejungle Sun 14-May-17 23:16:41

JennyTaylior I know what you mean about the feeling of peace washing over you. When I was much younger I woke up to an old man standing in my bedroom doorway. I jumped twice in a row and then the feeling of peace came and I thought aw it's just a goast and
I peacefully went back to sleep. Very strange. The man was wearing a white shirt and a red bow tie. Just what my great grandad who had dies a few months previously had wore to my mums wedding..

Keel Sun 14-May-17 23:26:32

Sorry for your loss Ghost xx. The day my dad died, a cable came loose out of the television rendering it unworkable. Totally unexplainable as it had never happened before or after.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 14-May-17 23:34:01

My great grandfather was killed in WW1, leaving behind my great grandmother and my grandfather as a baby. My GG swore that one morning she woke up while it was still dark to see my GG in the room, smiling at her. Her sister was in the same room that night and she saw him too. He then just faded away. It was no surprise when the telegram boy knocked at their door a few hours later to deliver the news of GG's death in action at Passchendaele.

There were a lot of similar stories from that time.

skyblu Wed 24-May-17 22:33:40

Sorry, I know this thread is 10 days old now but interesting read and wanted to add...

(Several years ago) I was woken by the front door bell ringing. I checked the alarm clock, 05.47. Thought it was odd but I just went back to sleep.
Next morning, my dad called to tell me that his brother, who had cancer, had passed away in the early hours, 'about quarter to six this morning'. It was then that the time on the clock struck me....and also the fact that we haven't actually got a doorbell!!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 25-May-17 22:05:23

The morning of the day that my mum passed. I saw a rainbow. It wasn't even raining, but I know what I saw. However I'm prepared for the reasoning of. It could have been my imagination.
After my mum died. We were obviously allowed back in the room.
The song that was playing was somewhere over the rainbow. My mums favorite song, and. Its not an over played song, by any stretch of the imagination.
The feeling of peace and serenity and love in that room was indescribable. It seems crazy to say it about the time my mum died, but. I just wish I could go back and bottle up that feeling. It was like me my dd my mum were the only people in the whole world.
I know my mum is free and happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now