Talk

Advanced search

so, how many rugs does any one horse actually need?

(14 Posts)
MitchyInge Mon 26-Oct-09 18:42:17

I seem to have about 6 for the horse that can't really cope with them and 1 for the one that lives outside all year round

how many have you got and how many do you think you actually need?

Butkin Mon 26-Oct-09 18:59:41

They all have a stable rug and a New Zealand. The NZs all have detachable neck covers which they are now all wearing.

Sometimes we just leave the Sec A's NZs on when they come in if they aren't wet.

My cob has an additional NZ - a really old canvass one - to wear before he is clipped as the Rambo one is so thick.

We also have a lycra neck cover for the Sec As for when they go to a show. We are also going to buy them some lycra bodies to get their coats in good shape for the Spring shows.

Pixel Mon 26-Oct-09 20:06:21

Dhorse has a lycra vest that he wears under all his rugs, one lightweight turnout for autumn/spring, two medium weight turnouts for most of the winter, and a really thick one (that I would honestly sleep out in myself!) for really icy weather.
He doesn't need any stable rugs but he has got a smart fleece and summer sheet (inherited from previous horse) in case we ever take him anywhere posh. I suppose he could do with some kind of sweatrug since he's not clipped but I've still got my old pony's stable rug that looks like jute but has wicking properties, so I just bung that over his back if he's hot.

MitchyInge Mon 26-Oct-09 20:38:10

I think I must get pony a heavier weight one for the real winter weather, was wondering whether you need spares in case they don't dry out during the day? He's stabled most of the day but out all night, it amazes me how he stays so chunky on just a 1/4 scoop of pony nuts when Barney starts to look skeletal as soon as it gets a bit nippy.

Pixel Mon 26-Oct-09 21:38:40

I would never be without spares. Ours used to be the opposite, out during the day and in at night, but a really soaked rug wouldn't always be dry enough to put back on in the morning. Also, if they came in with a leg strap missing or a big tear I didn't have to spend half the night mending it. It doesn't matter how cheap or tatty the spare is, as long as you've got one. You will be very glad of it I guarantee.

MitchyInge Mon 26-Oct-09 21:45:43

ok, goodie, was hoping to have an excuse to get another! I love buying rugs, but might be sensible and rummage in the 50/50 secondhand tack place - although I do sort of like those ones with sparkly glow in the dark stars on, you can get matching dog coats

no no I will get something tasteful instead, cute but tasteful

Pixel Mon 26-Oct-09 21:55:07

LOl, looking at the pic of Joey in his tasteful understated tack, I must admit I was wondering how long it would be before he found himself decked out in pink and purple. smile

Pixel Mon 26-Oct-09 21:58:00

Ooh they will have all sorts of fab rugs for sale at Olympia.

MitchyInge Mon 26-Oct-09 22:12:09

want want want those new Rambo Duo, one in blue for Joey and a brown one for Barney

why are they £2million each though? why?!

Pixel Mon 26-Oct-09 22:39:16

Just googled Rambo duo, very nice. I like the fact that the liner fits in a domestic washing machine, some common sense at last!

Butkin Tue 27-Oct-09 10:01:33

We love Horsewear Ireland that is all we have bought for the horses and ponies for years. We get them cheapily off one of the internet shops via Ebay.

We particularly like the Amigo NZs for the ponies and when the palamino leaves we're sending him with his Amigo included in the price - don't want him getting chilly!

I bought my old cob 18 years ago (he is 22 now) and in the Autumn he still wears the first rug I bought him - a Chaskit turnout - which is a canvas one with unusual straps but it has lasted great!

MitchyInge Tue 27-Oct-09 19:15:21

he'll have to slum it in a weatherbeeta - and yes, littly chose a PURPLE one

I wish I had pyjamas like that though grin

Southwestwhippet Thu 29-Oct-09 18:24:55

oh rug buying is addictive isn't it. I am very proud that I have reduced my rug ownership down to basically four now... My pony has a dealer clip (also known as a chaser I think) and is in at night so needs something when it is wet/cold.

> one lightweight turn out
> one medium-weight turn out with neck
> one medium-weight stable rug
> one fleece.

I do have another fleece that is just for competing as it has sparkly gold tassels on it (thanks to my mum and her amazing sewing skills!) and I also have an old exercise blanket around somewhere but they don't really count.

skihorse Fri 30-Oct-09 08:25:45

One NZ (which isn't on yet - it's still very mild here, late teens).
One filthy stable rug in the shed which needs cleaning.
One sparkly clean stable rug at my old yard which I need to collect.
One fleece.

Weep at my self-control! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now