Talk

Advanced search

Riding on the beach

(13 Posts)
Butkin Sun 25-Oct-09 22:55:07

We went for a hack on the beach at Holkham - which is on teh North Norfolk coast this lunchtime.

It costs 10 pounds to park your horsebox in the carpark and they supply you with a map which shows where you can go.

You ride through some pine woods on a special track then through the dunes onto the fantastic beach which is massively wide and flat.

We rode for ages across running streams etc until we got to the water (high-tide had been at 10.45) and then the connemara was encouraged to go in. She was reluctant at first and then didn't seem to want to come out of the waves! Here is a short video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f1EXOHvQ

It was a warm and sunny day by my word it was incredibly windy which got the roan sec a revved up.

Definitely worth a visit for anybody who fancies a beach gallop and can get up there.

Pixel Sun 25-Oct-09 23:46:23

Sounds lovely.smile
Can't get the video link to work though.

Butkin Sun 25-Oct-09 23:50:32

Sorry Pixel - I'll try again:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_1_EXOHvQ

MitchyInge Mon 26-Oct-09 08:12:27

ooooh, that looks so much fun! is Holkham near/at Wells-Next-The-Sea Butkin?

we should have a tack room meet up there, play polo on the beach grin

skihorse Mon 26-Oct-09 08:36:11

Butkin that looks gorgeous - and sunshine too! grin

This was one of the selling points about my new place - they go away every year to the beach. 2010 we're going to Duinrell in The Netherlands with the horses for 4 days. Apparently the local council are a bit pissy about poos so I'm not quite sure how we'll handle that... saddlebags full of poo? hmm

One of the girls was telling me that this summer they went and were just cantering along between the breakers when one of the girls said "oh you go first, just jump it rather than walking around". So she jumped it... only to find that it wasn't the same height on the other side and that in actual fact her and her 16hh horse went totally under! shock Once the shock had worn off it was all good for a laugh.

Riding on the beach is my dream and I can't believe I'm going to be 36 when I have a go! Donkeys at Barry Island don't count do they?

Butkin Mon 26-Oct-09 11:32:29

Yes Mitchy Holkham is signposted on the road from Fakenham to Wells.

The car park is opposite the Victoria Hotel.

The beach is massive and no problem with poo because of course the sea washes it away!

It was very windy yesterday and I'd avoid that if I was you because it did cause the sand to blow around.

Slightly wet weather wouldn't matter because actually wet sand is compact and easier to ride on.

You do have to have horses/ponies who are pretty cool though as there are dogs running around and kites.

Buntytea Mon 26-Oct-09 16:00:42

Sounds amazing. When I was happily riding along the beach this summer, pony decided all that white sand was just too inviting and had to have a good roll around in it! Cue me jumping quickly off his back and out of the way before catching him again! blush

Pixel Mon 26-Oct-09 20:26:36

Finally managed to see vid thanks. Had to use Firefox in the end, stupid Explorer wouldn't work.
Looks like you had a lovely time, and that beach! Isn't it fantastic!
We are actually very close to the beach, I could ride to it easily. Shame it's horrid steep shingle, not shining white sand!

Owls Tue 27-Oct-09 12:46:27

Lovely video Butkin the DCs must have really enjoyed that. smile

Butkin Tue 27-Oct-09 17:26:04

Thanks Owls - only have the one DD but she did enjoy it although she was a little unnerved by the pony's excitement.

MitchyInge Tue 27-Oct-09 19:25:14

new pony super scared of puddles so we might not be heading there quite too soon!

Butkin Wed 28-Oct-09 12:48:28

Roan has always hated puddles to. When DD was just 5 she faced him up to a wide one and he leapt over it - depositing DD in the sloppy mud next to it....

However she has been practising with him, by making him walk through every one she comes to on our hacks.

He tries to avoid them but with copious use of her legs and occasional use of her whip she gets them through them.

To my suprise he was much better on the beach. Perhaps it is because the water is clear with the sand beneath it so he can see what is going on - whilst puddles may be bottomless in his eyes.

MitchyInge Wed 28-Oct-09 23:08:44

or full of sharks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now