Talk

Advanced search

feckity feck feck - colts got in with my mares

(22 Posts)
kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 21:23:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Northernlurker Sun 11-Oct-09 21:27:25

What approach has the yard owner taken to this event?

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 21:28:15

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 21:37:05

Northernlurker Sun 11-Oct-09 21:52:27

shock

Well if the colts could break down the fence then one assumes your mares could have escaped from the field at any time - so she isn't actually keeping them safely and that is surely an expectation inherent with having a livery isn't it?

I guess it depends if you want to leave them there or not. I would be thinking you need to put in writing that you are very concerned that this event occurred, you expect to see adequate fence repairs made and the colts relocated and you expect her to pay the test bill with further contributions should other treatment be necessary. Further, should you not be happy with this you will remove the horses without notice. The downside of this is that if she is stubborn and unhelpful you'll really have to move them. If you're thinking of that anyone you've nothing to lose by being tough.

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 21:56:27

Northernlurker Sun 11-Oct-09 22:02:20

I think you could claim in the small claims court - because you can claim for pretty much anything there! Your grounds are that she has negelected her duty to you and your property and you have incurred a cost as a result. The significant factors to me are that you expressed concern and was ignored and that the fence was destroyed - if the colts had got in to the mares in some way that couldn't be foreseen that would be a different matter - such as a tree falling down and bringing down the fence - but the fence was crap. Do you have any written arrangement?

Northernlurker Sun 11-Oct-09 22:07:32

some info here

Jajas Sun 11-Oct-09 22:08:07

REally hope that they are not in foal Korma shock! Similar thing happened at my yard but fortunately the young colts were a bit younger than that so I pray to god they didn't cover my mare (with foal at foot). I wasn't happy and they made good repair to the fences. Drives me nuts it really does make me angry for you.

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 22:11:25

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 22:11:50

Northernlurker Sun 11-Oct-09 22:13:09

Oooh insurance - that's a thought. Hope things work out for you. She sounds pretty dreadful - I think you should be very firm and not ask, tell her what she need to do to keep your business.

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Sun 11-Oct-09 22:16:15

Butkin Mon 12-Oct-09 15:41:40

Talk to your vets as well asap. Probably isn't the first time they will have been involved in this sort of situation and they will give you information about testing costs, early abortions if necessary etc.

What a nightmare for you - has she fixed up the fence - which is presumably hers?

Jajas Mon 12-Oct-09 15:48:19

Any developments Korma?

One of the 'geldings' at same yard was quite riggy and was found trying to cover my mare when I was preparing to take her to stud. I had the vet out and they gave her a prostaglandin injeciton which would have aborted anything should she have been in early stages of pregnancy. I don't think she was but didn't want to risk it. If you do have it, be warned (my vet didn't tell me) they can look very colicky after the jab, shaking, sweating and kicking at flank. Apparently this is quite normal (vet didn't think to tell me though angry).

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Mon 12-Oct-09 19:42:38

Nekabu Tue 13-Oct-09 10:05:29

If you want your mares to be safe then you need to fix it as she clearly isn't going to in any kind of a hurry, if at all. Yes, of course she should ensure the fencing is up to the job but she has made it perfectly clear she won't so you either need to sort out the fencing yourself (I'd recommend electric fencing as you can take it with you when you move) or move your mares to a better yard.

You need to get them scanned whether or not she pays for it. I'd take photos of the existing fencing, the colts and your mares, have your mares scanned and then give her a copy of the bill. If she doesn't pay it then try the small claims court.

The important thing is to get your mares behind safe fencing and scanned asap. Good luck with getting money out of your yard owner and fingers crossed they're not pregnant!

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Tue 13-Oct-09 12:00:20

Nekabu Tue 13-Oct-09 12:42:06

That's good news! Glad to hear your mares are somewhere else now ... if a yard owner won't even keep the fencing up to scratch you can't help but wonder what else is being neglected. Been in a similar situation a few times myself and know how frustrating it is.

Fingers crossed your mares aren't pregnant!

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Tue 13-Oct-09 13:50:38

ChopsTheDuck Tue 13-Oct-09 13:56:59

don't know anything about horses at all!

How much does the blood test cost? small claims costs £30 for up to £300. I think you would have a claim. You are paying for a service, and the service has not been up to a reasonable standard and your losses are a forseeable result of the failure to provide an adequate service.

If your mares are pg I would def look at claiming!

skihorse Tue 13-Oct-09 17:54:07

Christ what a nightmare! I came home from work once to find a sodding donkey stallion in the field with my mare! Not just illegitimate but mixed-race! shockwink Thank the lord she's 17.2hh and the little mite would've needed a ladder... I had a nervous few months though. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now