Talk

Advanced search

First unaccompanied hack

(5 Posts)
seeker Wed 26-Aug-09 11:23:40

Dd and her friend are hacking out alone for the first time-I am ridicuously nervous as I wait for them to xome back. Please tell me not to be silly!

Butkin Wed 26-Aug-09 12:53:17

A worrying time - we've got this to look forward to...

How old is your DD?

Ours is 6.5 and hacks out with me but hasn't gone off on her own yet.

seeker Wed 26-Aug-09 14:31:34

She's 13 - but has only been the proud owner of half a pony for 2 months!

They got home safely, having had a fab time. She wants to go quite by herself next time! shock

skihorse Fri 28-Aug-09 18:13:01

We were hacking out on our own from ¬8/9 I suppose.

flowerpotwoman Fri 28-Aug-09 19:48:04

My DD aged nearly 12 has been riding out with friends (mostly older) for the past few months. I get her to text me before she leaves and as soon as she gets back, but I find myself checking my phone all the time.

I think once you've made sure they are road- and traffic-aware, and made them promise to always wear hi-viz gear, as long as the pony is good in traffic and they are sensible, you have to let them do it. I have found it very, very stressful, and still do, but the alternative was me walking around the lanes with her (which I did for at least six months before she started hacking out with friends) for ever.

You're not being silly: it is a scary stage. I would never, EVER let her hack out alone, though. (Just in case she falls off/the pony spooks/bolts etc.) Safety in numbers I think.
Make sure she does easy routes for a good long while, and gradually builds it up. It's all part of letting them become independent: difficult but necessary. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: