Talk

Advanced search

First unaccompanied hack

(5 Posts)
seeker Wed 26-Aug-09 11:23:40

Dd and her friend are hacking out alone for the first time-I am ridicuously nervous as I wait for them to xome back. Please tell me not to be silly!

Butkin Wed 26-Aug-09 12:53:17

A worrying time - we've got this to look forward to...

How old is your DD?

Ours is 6.5 and hacks out with me but hasn't gone off on her own yet.

seeker Wed 26-Aug-09 14:31:34

She's 13 - but has only been the proud owner of half a pony for 2 months!

They got home safely, having had a fab time. She wants to go quite by herself next time! shock

skihorse Fri 28-Aug-09 18:13:01

We were hacking out on our own from ¬8/9 I suppose.

flowerpotwoman Fri 28-Aug-09 19:48:04

My DD aged nearly 12 has been riding out with friends (mostly older) for the past few months. I get her to text me before she leaves and as soon as she gets back, but I find myself checking my phone all the time.

I think once you've made sure they are road- and traffic-aware, and made them promise to always wear hi-viz gear, as long as the pony is good in traffic and they are sensible, you have to let them do it. I have found it very, very stressful, and still do, but the alternative was me walking around the lanes with her (which I did for at least six months before she started hacking out with friends) for ever.

You're not being silly: it is a scary stage. I would never, EVER let her hack out alone, though. (Just in case she falls off/the pony spooks/bolts etc.) Safety in numbers I think.
Make sure she does easy routes for a good long while, and gradually builds it up. It's all part of letting them become independent: difficult but necessary. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now