Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Excited for new Pony

(37 Posts)

That is all really, just excited and wanted to share.

Getting a new one for dcs me. grin

I am well aware that they are too young (after a few weeks of arguing and silences between me and dh) but he now understands that it really is a project and therapy for me. grin

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 26-Aug-09 11:13:25

Ooh how exciting!

I wish I could have my own horse...

Although I am meeting up with someone today to do some stuff with their horse and am really excited about that, will make a nice change from riding lessons when it's really hard to get involved with any of the stable management side.

What sort of pony will you be getting?

I am getting a welsh mountain she is 9, came straight from the Mountains 2 years ago, completely wild.

She is very sweet and is already well on the way in a leid rein career.
She is 12hh and her name is Charlotte smile
My dd is 2.6 and ds just 1.

She adores them. My mum has 5. Me and my sister share, but It is very frustrating not having childcare so difficult to ride often.

I love just being around them and thought, if I buy something for me to ride I will be very frustrated, so something small, means safer for dcs and I can play work with her while dcs potter about playing.

DD is more than happy with a little ride round in a circle for now. grin

Enjoy the day, I know what you mean re makes a change from just riding, I rode yesterday, and with permission I let the horse go acroos a huuuge field. Really blew the cobwebs away. grin However I spent ages just grooming and cuddling.
I am happy doing that.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 26-Aug-09 11:28:15

She sounds adorable! Welsh mountain ponies are so pretty. And I know what you mean, I just love spending time round horses. And presumably you can still lunge her and do work in hand even if you're not actually riding. smile

Your DD must be so excited! I've always envied those people that claim to be "born in the saddle" so I don't think there's anything wrong with starting them off early, even if you have to hold them on wink

Ah thankyou. Yes I agree it is never too early to be around them and at least lern how to behave and respect them. smile

My mum has an Equestrian shop and has given dd some Jodphurs. (They are very cute)
She now gets them out of the drawer and says Jodphurs on, go Horse riding.
My only problem is she tries hard to push me away when being held, wanting to do it by herself.hmm

My hope is that out in the fresh air most of the day will help take the attention away from trying to batter her brother and help with sleep etc... I live in hope grin and in turn I will be less stressed out about the whole sibling rivalry thing.

Butkin Wed 26-Aug-09 12:51:46

Have fun - I'm sure you will.

Our DD had her first Welsh A for her 2nd birthday and didn't need holding on because we bought her a great saddle I can recommend for small ones - the Thorowgood Safari Cub - which has a handle at the front to hold on to, a high back and is designed to fit any shape of pony.

Our DD used it all the time until she was about 4 and needed a proper show saddle.

We still use it now to put side reins on for lunging.

Yes a cub saddle is what I had in mind, will check out that one, hopefully should be able to get one through my mums shop. grin

The pony has a new saddle but would much rather dd had one she could hold on to.

Pixel Wed 26-Aug-09 15:55:55

I think you've done what I should have done. Instead of having dhorse and never getting to ride him I should have got a lead-rein pony for ds. Oh well, can't part with the big lump now so ds will have to manage with dshetland until his feet are touching the ground smile.
Charlotte sounds lovely. My friend has just got a little welshie for her children and her 4 yo looks so adorable on him in her pink half chaps!
We've got the cub, it's perfect for a first saddle (and very low-maintenance wink).

Butkin Wed 26-Aug-09 16:13:51

No1, when DD progressed to proper saddles - she now has a Fylde "Samantha" one which has been a great success - we bought a strap which clips onto the D rings so she has something to hold onto.

DD still uses hers now when doing jumping practise as we'd rather she had a strap than holding onto the ponies mouth if she is in trouble and we can't find a martingale small enough for him.

Butkin Wed 26-Aug-09 16:17:18

No1, when DD progressed to proper saddles - she now has a Fylde "Samantha" one which has been a great success - we bought a strap which clips onto the D rings so she has something to hold onto.

DD still uses hers now when doing jumping practise as we'd rather she had a strap than holding onto the ponies mouth if she is in trouble and we can't find a martingale small enough for him.

mummydoc Wed 26-Aug-09 17:40:00

oohh very exciting just started looking for dd2 first pony, off to stud reductiob sle next week, would like a welsh sec a as they are so pretty !!!

Butkin Wed 26-Aug-09 19:09:47

The Fayre Oaks Sale is being held Sept 26th and 27th and is definitely the place I'd go if we were looking for a new Welsh pony at this time of year.

pixel I have seen a pink cub sadle, but better not as ds will no doubt ride when bigger too. If he is interested. grin
I get deperste to ride my sisters, so I know I am doing the right thing.
My dsis says her horse is half mine, and she is also putting in half for this pony as she has 3 dcs. So we all share and help each other.

butkin I will have a look out for that saddle too. I was just wondering on sizing for the cub. I am not sure what size I need, will have to check as I don't get the pony for a few weeks as I have fencing to do first.
mummydoc good look in buying a new pony smile
I wouldnt trust myself to go to a sale I would come home with more than one. grin

Pixel Wed 26-Aug-09 21:55:02

I think the cub only comes in one size. The panels underneath are fixed on with strong velcro so you can adjust the width to fit any pony.

Pixel Wed 26-Aug-09 22:02:01

I'm not usually keen on coloured tack, but I'd be tempted by the very cute buddies saddle if I had a little dd. It comes in pale blue too, you could get away with that surely. wink

Butkin Thu 27-Aug-09 11:41:35

Agreed - the Safari Cub only comes in one size and fitted everything from a Sec A to an extra-wide Dartmoor.

When I mentioned Fylde Saddles they are the best for showing but I wouldn't splash out unless you know your DD is very keen to do this as you may prefer a more general purpose saddle and Fylde are unfortunately very expensive.

We're currently trying to find somebody who has a side saddle suitable for a Section A / 6/7yo child if anybody knows of one?

Southwestwhippet Thu 27-Aug-09 16:39:30

Another vote for cub saddles - we use one on our 10.2hh Welsh pony at the riding school, fits him great and has the little handle on the front which is great for LOs.

no1putsbabyinacorner - I am SOOOOOOOO jealous of you getting a pony for your dcs yourself wink. I have been longing to do this for ever. I have been known to tell people that the only real reason to have a baby is so that you have the perfect excuse to buy a tiny pony.

And to top it off, you are buying a Welsh Pony envy envy envy... quite possibly my favourite breed. Wishing you the most fun and the best of luck.

Thanks for advice re saddle. I have just seen one for sale for £15.

I have been riding today grin
Complete suprise as I was in my jeans, with both dcs.hmm

My mum rang to say she had tacked up her section D and said he wouldn't stand still for her to get on and mum is very small.

He was broke in 2 years ago, but due to my dcs and mum not being confident he hasn't done much work since.
So I went to hold him while she got on and had a ride myself. He is an angel, just a bit rusty on the basics.

She was trying him in new tack, a treeless saddle. Not sure what make but it was like sitting in an armchair,bit like western saddle.

So feeling good that I have had my fix for today. grin

Southwestwhippet I will put some pictures on profile of 'Lottie' when I get her.
grin

Ponymum Thu 27-Aug-09 21:24:31

This is so exciting! My DD is 11 months old and I keep doing dangerous calculations over how soon I can get her a pony. The other day I showed DH a photo in a riding book of a mum and daughter in a lead rein competition. I told him: that's us.
I can't wait to follow your example!! grin

Butkin Thu 27-Aug-09 21:44:20

Ponymum - buy Horse and Hound and you'll see plenty of mouth watering pics of Lead Rein ponies. If you look at page 41 of this week's issue you'll see that Thistledown Popster earned 1,000 at Ponies UK - that may encourage your DH!

Page 44 features our favourite pony of the moment, the glorious Pinewell Bucks Fizz. This amazing Section A won the Cuddy (ie in-hand pony of the year) at Horse of the Year last year and has qualified for it again this October.

I have been drooling over a few on here
www.dragondriving.co.uk/horsesforsale.php?pageNum_CartRecord=2

ponymum just do it. I dare you grin

MANATEEequineOHARA Thu 27-Aug-09 21:58:50

I bought a pony that was supposedly for ds when I was 12 months old. Unfortunately she soon proved that she was never going to be a kids pony and it was just me missing having...well, more than one horse blush
There is nothing better though
It is so exciting getting back into riding after having babies!!!

Ponymum Thu 27-Aug-09 22:08:24

Given that I am ttc for #2 I had really better not go there! However, some friends have a fabulous shetland for their DS and have offered DD a ride as soon as we think she can do it. (Of course I'll have to get her hat and body protector first!! Do they make them for 1 year olds?)

kormachameleon Thu 27-Aug-09 22:12:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now