Advanced search

veteran horse advice needed plesase

(16 Posts)
kormachameleon Sat 18-Jul-09 23:24:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kormachameleon Sat 18-Jul-09 23:38:26

Pixel Sat 18-Jul-09 23:39:37

Are you having it vetted? The vet should be able to tell you how old it is.

Agree it does seem a bit odd that it has a veteran horse society passport but I've no idea how these things work so it may be ok.

I can understand you don't want an old pony but if you really like him...we got our first pony when he was 15, and we still had him for 20 years!

kormachameleon Sat 18-Jul-09 23:41:49

Pixel Sat 18-Jul-09 23:45:55

How about ringing the veteran horse society, and without naming names, ask if it's possible for a pony to have one of their passports and be only 7 years old?

kormachameleon Sat 18-Jul-09 23:47:32

Pixel Sat 18-Jul-09 23:53:18

Mmm you could say that. The one we've got now, we never had him vetted for the same reason as you, it had taken all the money we could scrape together to buy him. We were told he was a three year old, and when the vet came to do his jabs he said "this horse won't be three until next summer".

Our first pony that I mention was bought as a 10 year old, we only found out he had actually been 15 some years later, when a previous owner recognised him (and produced photos of his daughter riding him, there was no doubt it was the same pony).

kormachameleon Sat 18-Jul-09 23:59:37

Pixel Sun 19-Jul-09 00:03:16

Ta da! <does little dance>.
Have a read of this

kormachameleon Sun 19-Jul-09 00:04:42

Pixel Sun 19-Jul-09 00:05:28

LOL glad to be of service smile.

kormachameleon Sun 19-Jul-09 00:07:30

Pixel Sun 19-Jul-09 00:10:08

Blimey, and I'm usually rubbish at this internet thing. My google skills must be improving wink.

kormachameleon Sun 19-Jul-09 00:11:40

frostyfingers Thu 30-Jul-09 11:05:14

I know this is an out of date reply, but hsve only just seen this. My pony has a VHS passport (issued when he was around 10), I was recommended to use them as they were happy to take the vet's drawing from when I had him vetted, and they use a photo.

If you remember when they were issued there was loads of hoo ha about having to get markings etc redrawn, and they couldn't use one you'd already done. The VHS were more flexible (and cheaper) which is why I went.

So, it doesn't necessarily mean your pony is ancient....hope that's reassuring. How old are you before you're a veteran anyway (I must be one by now, certainly feel like it!).

Butkin Thu 30-Jul-09 21:37:24

Lots of organisations can issue passports these days. My heavyweight show cob (by an Irish Draught out of a welsh mare) has a passport issued by the Arab Horse Society.

They were cheap, no fuss and quick - at a time when suddenly we had to get passports having only previously had ID papers and Flu Vaccination certificate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now