(14 Posts)
seeker Mon 11-May-09 12:31:45

If so, roughly how much do you pay?

skihorse Mon 11-May-09 19:59:35

I'm on full livery.

315 a month for livery.
23 for extra hay rations.
50 for mon-fri turnout and bringing in.

Plus 17.95 every two months for worming.

This is euros not pounds... but much of a muchness eh?

Nekabu Tue 12-May-09 09:52:45

Do you mean full livery (including riding and grooming) or part livery (mucking out, turning out/bringing in, feed, hay, etc?). If it's the latter it's usually anywhere between £80 - £120 per week but that really does vary an awful lot depending on whereabouts in the country you are.

seeker Tue 12-May-09 09:52:54

So £50 a week all in is really good! Thought it was.

Excluding vet, farrier,wormer etc, of course

Nekabu Wed 13-May-09 09:31:55

£50 a week??!!! They cannot be covering costs at that, surely?

MerryPonymum Wed 13-May-09 09:38:33

Our pony is kept on 'working livery' at a cost of £120 a month (where he's used in the riding school whenever they need him) which I think is a good deal though it does involve compromise - DD gets very wound up sometimes about him being unavailable for her to ride on weekends/holidays when she comes home from university - but we couldn't have had him at all on 'full livery' which even at our cheapo stables is much more than £50 a week!

Does sound like a good deal then Seeker. Are you thinking of buying a pony then (or do you have one already?) I've never regretted buying ours for DD when she was 14 - mind you the idea was to sell him when she went to University - but we couldn't bring ourselves to in the end

seeker Wed 13-May-09 10:58:29

It's a tiny yard - they want a bit of extra money but they want also dd (who practically lives there anyway!) to show a Highland they've got, so they are being very persuasive!

Testing the water about a pony for her - wondering about a loan - falling in love with horses on the internet.....reliving my childhood.....!!!!!

Nekabu Wed 13-May-09 19:05:19

Go for it ...

p.s., That yard is a right bargain!

seeker Wed 13-May-09 20:34:36

I know,And they are lovely people too - my dd is learning lots from them (not just about horses!) All we've got to do now is find the right pony!

Nekabu Wed 13-May-09 21:09:51

Your local Pony Club might be a good place to start. You sometimes get very nice ponies for loan that are between child sizes and the parents don't want to sell it as the next one down will be the right size for the pony by the time the current right sizer (maybe your dd!) has outgrown it.

seeker Wed 13-May-09 21:25:58

What I would love is a nice little 14.2 native on loan. Something that dd could compete a bit, hack out a bit and cuddle a lot!

Butkin Tue 19-May-09 23:29:25

Sounds like a bargain. We had our young sec A on a full show livery during February (when we had that bad weather) and we were paying 120 pounds a week!

LittleB Wed 20-May-09 14:30:40

Oh yes, get her a lovely native, I had a gorgeous dapple grey new forest mare from the age of 14-18, she was brilliant. Dd's only just turned 4 so only had 1 hack and 1 lesson so far, but enjoying it, would love to loan a pony or do pony share when shes older, relive my childhood!

MitchyInge Thu 11-Jun-09 11:33:34

full livery on our yard starts at about £95 a week I think, depends on size, but then all sorts of extras on top

we're on working livery which is £60 a week and includes everything except farrier/vet obviously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now