Talk

Advanced search

running out at jumps

(16 Posts)
MitchyInge Tue 24-Feb-09 14:57:32

ok, I'm a recent returner to riding (been about a year) and still have soooo much to learn! I'd like to know why my horse (who loves to jump) will randomly run out - I suppose it happens about once every 12 jumps or so

will it be my fault, a wobbly approach line or something? I can't always get someone who finds it thrilling enough to watch me and point out where I'm going wrong grin

it doesn't seem to be related to what the jump is made of, one day it might be the water tray, the next the tyres, and it's not as if he runs out in the same direction each time - it will be just about at the point of take-off when he suddenly darts off at a sharp angle

am also not 100% sure how to respond to it, apart from turning him round and making him do it again?

Pixel Tue 24-Feb-09 20:43:02

Hi, didn't want you to feel ignored but it's far too many years since I jumped anything so I won't be much help. My feeling is, your horse is just trying to keep you alert, doing his bit to ward off alzheimers. It's all for your benefit really grin.

(probably best to wait for someone who knows what they are talking aboutsmile)

Owls Tue 24-Feb-09 21:28:05

Hi Mitchy, assuming you've ruled out all the usual blah blah blah re something causing him pain - teeth, tack, etc., - then it probably is you! grin

Ducking out at the last minute is usually loss of impetus. Get the canter steady and fairly forward going. Make sure you are looking at and over the jump not down. Are you having lessons at all?

Yes turning him round and doing it again is right - well it's what I would do anyway. If I wasn't too wussy to jump these days. What happens to nerve I want some back. smile

Pixel - how you getting on with your youngster now?

MitchyInge Tue 24-Feb-09 22:15:42

I would swap some of my nerve for actual ability, easily. My lack of fear is probably a bad thing, I thrive on that feeling of having cheated death but there are worse ways to get your thrills? hope these words do not come back to haunt me hmm

He certainly keeps me alert pixel grin I like your analysis!

hi owls, I try to have at least one lesson a week - it's much better with someone there to guide me. I find it really hard to regulate his speed. My ring fingers are blistered and bleeding despite gloves in more experienced hands he is fantastic, but with me (I don't know if this sounds paranoid?) it's like he just wants to get away with as much as possible like going off on the wrong leg, motorbiking round the corners and galloping. Making the jumps higher helped because then he was a bit more focussed and didn't just bomb round at an insane pace.

I do love him though, he makes me feel as though we share a pair of wings when it's all going well!

Pixel Tue 24-Feb-09 22:22:03

Hi Owls, not doing anything with him at all at the mo as I've got flu. I was supposed to be having a lesson tomorrow (now the paddock has finally dried out) but I've had to cancel it. I am very determined to get on with things when I feel better though.

Quattrocento Tue 24-Feb-09 22:27:30

legs legs legs

<sorry - do not have horse and have not ridden for ages, but whenever I ran out at jumps the teacher would shout legs legs legs at me. Hope it helps>

KingCanuteIAm Tue 24-Feb-09 22:37:14

Take your jumps right back down again. I know making them higher helps but it is a quick fix. Bring them down nice and low, work on your position and impulsion.

If he is running out it means that you are losing your legs. The fact that it is after a few jumps means you are probably becoming unbalanced making it harder to keep your legs on.

If you are jumping courses of 12 or more jumps regularly he is possibly getting bored too. Try grid work, keep changing them so that you try a different type of jump each session. One session do a line of small spreads, next do a square grid to practice turns (picture a figure 8 style route). Even jumpers in training would only be expected to jump full courses once a week or so.

For your balance get someone to lunge you without stirrups (and reins grin).

If he is responding to different riders (and you don't really think they are any better than you) I would say this backs up the getting bored thing. I would suggest he is a bit of a bright spark who needs variety in his riding.

Hopefully at least some of that will help!

KingCanuteIAm Tue 24-Feb-09 22:38:57

Oh, another thing, when you jump alone do you have to put jumps up/change them etc? Does this change when someone else rides? If so then it is possible that he is getting narked off with you getting up and down/stopping starting.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 24-Feb-09 22:40:34

Does he always run out the same side? if he does make sure the whip is in the right hand (if he runs out right - right hand), legs on all the time and check for teeth.

MitchyInge Wed 25-Feb-09 09:21:48

legs legs legs! I think I get a bit tired (v unfit) and my balance is probably not fantastic at the best of times blush there do seem to be bits of me flying around in all directions after a while blush

a square grid would be good, I had one down one side - a 'bouncer' and a double (hope I'm understanding what you mean) although I just make use of whatever the last person left there blush I don't get on and off to do anything

he runs out on either side, teeth were checked just before Christmas and are the best in the yard (tho dentist probably says that to all the girls grin)

I think I'll try the lower jumps, not that I have built a puissance wall or anything, and maybe have a day off today (farrier coming anyway). It did occur to me that in a lesson we get him wide awake and listening first, whereas on my own I probably cut corners warming up because I can't wait to get to the exciting bits blush

I'm so glad we have the tack room here now!

KingCanuteIAm Wed 25-Feb-09 11:40:33

Sorry to sound like somebody's mother but you cannot skimp on the basics. The more flatwork you do the better he will listen and respond and the better your balance and fitness will be. Jumping is exciting but it is best enjoyed fully prepared and ready to go.

<shuffles off muttering about kids these days> grin

MitchyInge Wed 25-Feb-09 16:28:08

Aw, it is nice to have some maternal input - am sure my own mum thinks I should have grown out of this by now, not that she even knows I have a horse I don't think?

(Bet I am old enough to be your mum anyway, do not let my immaturity fool you!) wink

Nekabu Wed 25-Feb-09 18:12:34

I agree with KingCanuteIAm. I have a few professional jumper friends and they are all flatwork flatwork flatwork. When they do jump it's as if the jumps are something that is happening whilst doing the flatwork, iyswim. The jumps they do do at home are usually fairly small (by their standards, not mine!) as they save their horses legs by doing the bigger stuff at competitions.

"but with me (I don't know if this sounds paranoid?) it's like he just wants to get away with as much as possible like going off on the wrong leg, motorbiking round the corners and galloping." is almost certainly answered by

"I think I get a bit tired (v unfit) and my balance is probably not fantastic at the best of times"

Rushing, falling in on the corners and incorrect canter leads are often a symptom of an unbalanced rider and/or horse. If you and your horse aren't balanced and together on the ground then you won't be balanced and together in the air! My recommendation would be to concentrate on getting it together on the ground first ...

MitchyInge Wed 25-Feb-09 18:16:28

damn it, I know you are right

there are no shortcuts in this life are there! grin

Nekabu Wed 25-Feb-09 18:47:42

Certainly not with riding. Right pain, isn't it! grin

KingCanuteIAm Wed 25-Feb-09 18:51:23

Oh yes there are - and your horse will take them all if you let him wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now