Talk

Advanced search

Bedding - pellets or shavings?

(5 Posts)
Pleasedontdothat Wed 09-Oct-19 14:55:26

We need to decide what bedding to use in dhorse’s new home. He’ll be in overnight from the end of the month to beginning of March and then out 24/7 for the spring/summer/start of autumn. He’s not particularly messy (tends to use the same bit of the stable for poo/wee and doesn’t kick it around.

He can’t have straw as he eats it hmm .. most of the other liveries use wood pellets as they say it’s cheaper than shavings, but looking at the costs there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference. Can anyone go through the pros and cons with me please?

lastqueenofscotland Wed 09-Oct-19 15:03:56

I like pellets underneath shavings

Pleasedontdothat Thu 10-Oct-19 07:59:59

Thanks, but we’re trying to keep it as simple as possible to start with!

OldSpeclkledHen Thu 10-Oct-19 08:43:36

I love shavings (only Hunters though!)

Horse next door to mine is on wood pellets, I know the owner doesn't like them (but that's another story)

Current DH used to be on Miscanthus... super absorbent just take the droppings out daily and wet at the weekends... sorry to add another option.

Also what can you get hold of easiest!

After that, it's personal choice 😊

Elieza Fri 11-Oct-19 19:23:00

Are pellets less dust than shavings and is that a consideration? I’m asking because I’ve never used pellets, only shavings, latterly with rubber matting underneath. I used so much less then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »