Talk

Advanced search

Would I regret getting rid of a horse walker

(7 Posts)
OhMrDarcy Sun 29-Sep-19 19:53:46

I'd welcome your thoughts on whether I should keep or get rid of an old horsewalker at my new house.

We're recently moved to a refurb project house, which has previously been used as a livery yard (though not in recent past). There is a couple of acres, lots of breeze block stables, an extremely overgrown outdoor school and a horse walker.

DD (12) rides and we have her pony in livery locally. At some stage we might bring DPony (and perhaps a pony friend) home, once the land is in a better state and fenced properly. We're clear on what we could do in the future with the stables and outdoor school, but we aren't so sure what to do with the horse walker. I'd hate to get rid of it and then find it would actually be useful in a few years' time!

It is in working order and serviced last year. But, it is full of weeds and the fencing panels would need replacing before use. Also, it doesn't seem very large - maybe 10 meters across (not that I've seen that many, to be fair)

If we keep it, we would take lots of advice etc and have it fixed before attempting to use it.

Advice and thoughts welcomed! Would I be mad to get rid of it? Are they useful?

QuestionableMouse Mon 30-Sep-19 15:51:25

Keep it if you can! They're helpful for warming up/cooling down, if you've one coming back from box rest, if you can't turn out in the winter due to ice...

Deffo worth keeping!

britnay Mon 30-Sep-19 17:45:02

If its not in the way then you might as well keep it.

CrotchetyQuaver Mon 30-Sep-19 17:52:31

I'd keep it

TinkerPony Mon 30-Sep-19 17:56:25

I would keep it plus to add if had no time to ride like in winter shorter days longer nights handy to exercise in too even if just walking but keep them active.

RIBlue Mon 30-Sep-19 18:04:15

Really handy in the winter when it’s too wet to go out. Recent study found that the level of activity for 20 minutes on a horse walker is equivalent to an hours turnout. Not in terms of mental stimulation obviously but a useful leg stretch.

Please do bring a friend too though and don’t keep a pony on its own!

OhMrDarcy Mon 30-Sep-19 20:00:45

Thanks all- well keep it! Really appreciate the responses, thank you.

DD would like to fill all the stables here but we'll try and keep it to 2 or 3 so they've got company.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »