Talk

Advanced search

New yard manager/new contract.

(9 Posts)
newme2014 Sat 28-Sep-19 07:26:53

Looking for advice from you knowledgable folks if possible please.
We have never had a formal contract at our previous 2 yards we have liveried at so not sure if this is standard.

We moved to our new yard 3 months ago (better turn out and people for daughter to ride with) and very happy. New yard manager has left contracts for us to fill out and sign.

It states that if livery fees go unpaid for 3 months she reserves the right to sell our horses and tack to recoup the fees owed??
I will never not pay the fees ( never have) but really felt uncomfortable reading that.
Can you sell a horse without a passport?? Or break into a locked tack room to take a liveries tack/gear??

Maybe i should just sign it and not worry about it but i dont want to sign with that in there. What do your contracts say?
Thanks in advance

NeedingCoffee Sat 28-Sep-19 07:33:24

I’ve signed contracts with clauses to that effect in. I expect you’ll need to give them a copy of the key anyway for emergencies/pest control.
To be honest I’d take that sort of clause as a good sign that the yard was going to be run in a businesslike manner and wouldn’t allow free-loaders. Too many yards I’ve been in suffered from people suddenly becoming unable to pay the livery (I’m not judging as to why), but of course that often meant no farrier etc for the horse either. The ongoing presence of a uncared for horse was bad for the yard as a whole - everyone constantly talking about how to help the horse etc - and to be honest it would have been better if there was at least a route to discussion as to what should be done. Arguably the horse might have been better off in another home.
Just another side to the situation smile

Booboostwo Sat 28-Sep-19 10:22:01

That's pretty standard and I'd find the existence of a contract to be reassuring.

lastqueenofscotland Sat 28-Sep-19 10:55:43

It’s very very standard.
It’s mainly to protect them when people abandon horses, which does happen

krustykittens Sat 28-Sep-19 17:24:32

It's pretty standard and I would also be pleased that the yard was being run in a business-like way.

Floralnomad Sat 28-Sep-19 17:28:13

Absolutely standard . One of our horses ( sadly now deceased) was sold to us in those exact circumstances many years ago .

britnay Sat 28-Sep-19 18:31:48

I have that my contract for my liveries. I've not had to use it, as tbh if someone is shit at paying then I give them notice to leave and be done with it. It would be a right faf having to sell someone's horse.

newme2014 Sat 28-Sep-19 22:42:35

I must be very naive!! I am a mum of a horsey 15 yr old and i can’t imagine not paying livery never mind abandoning our boy at the yard.

I was horrified reading the contract and i’m really horrified after reading your replies. Who are these people who don’t pay/abandon their ponies??

Thanks for the advice and help folks. I can sign and not be worried now.

Floralnomad Sat 28-Sep-19 22:57:56

The horse we bought had literally been abandoned , the owners hadn’t paid for months , we actually rang up about a different horse being advertised but he’d been sold already and the yard owner said he’d got this abandoned horse that might suit - and he did .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »