Talk

Advanced search

Giving up riding

(13 Posts)
Maneandfeathers Fri 06-Sep-19 20:23:32

Has anyone sold up and given up for any sort of reason? Financial or otherwise?

Did you miss it or is it something you eventually get used too?

Jengacritical Fri 06-Sep-19 20:28:49

Yes, I got badly injured and it was one fall too many, I’d been losing confidence for a while. My mare and I are both much happier now I’m not riding her anymore, we get quality time together now instead.

YesQueen Fri 06-Sep-19 20:33:30

Yes, gave up after my horse was PTS. I lasted about 4 years thinking I didn't miss it and then went back to it
I'm in the same situation again right now and unsure what to do

MrsMozartMkII Fri 06-Sep-19 20:34:02

I sort of gave up when I lost my DWB, but then was back into it. Sort of have up again when I moved them all to where my DD is, but now am considering moving them all back and getting another riding horse for me.

Yeahnahyeah1 Fri 06-Sep-19 20:36:29

I did. Not exactly consciously but I reached the end of a run really. I had between two and six horses all my life and one way and another ended up with only one, back in 2017, and then when I had him shot, I never got another. Work and time and health all distracted me. I imagine I’ll go back, but the same issues stand right now. I miss it, more than I could reasonably explain. I feel like I’m actually missing a part of me.

FurrySlipperBoots Fri 06-Sep-19 20:41:16

I gave up after about 12 years of regular riding. I'd been loaning a horse from the RDA for years. The local branch folded and I was told he would be sold. I checked several times and was told I would have first refusal, then the mat was pulled out from under me and they sold him to somebody else. I was absolutely heartbroken. I gave up riding completely then. To be honest I don't very often miss it. I volunteered long enough at events to see some really horrible accidents which left me rather nervous, and it's such a massive commitment and expense. That particular horse I do miss though. He was just the sweetest soul.

lastqueenofscotland Sat 07-Sep-19 12:15:02

I did about 5 years ago to move overseas.
I’ve picked up and put it down since and actually until recently had 2 horses that lived as field ornaments at my exPILs house which I finally sold as they were costing me a fortune and I was riding 2/3 times a year for the last year I had them.

I’m genuinely not over the horse I had to sell to go travelling, I went to see him a few months ago as I’m still in touch with the lady who’s got him and I wept for the entire hour drive home.

In time I’d like another horse but only if I could comfortably afford full livery and to compete regularly.

Teateaandmoretea Sat 07-Sep-19 13:45:20

I gave up after almost 30 years riding.

Tbh I don't really miss it at all, the time constraints with job and kids were just too much in the end and I stopped enjoying it.

I have a bike now, much less stressful and if it stops working I can chuck it out rather than worrying about vets bills etc. I also have a lot more money .....

maxelly Sun 08-Sep-19 21:45:34

I've not had my own horses at various points in my life, for various reasons (financial, time, injuries/health and heatbreak after losing a special horse). At the longest I think I went over 5 years without a horse. There's a lot of pros to not having your own, you get your life back, can go on holidays and days out without stress, no constant worries about accidents, injuries, field break outs, and you suddenly feel much richer! To be honest I thought I was done with owning forever when I lost my old boy, but some time later 'accidentally' acquired two pony mares who were both sort-of rescues headed for very uncertain futures, they give me a lot of joy but objectively speaking it was not a sensible decision to get them, and one is currently out on loan to try and manage the ensuing money and time haemorrhage but even that has its own set of worries, is she getting on well with loaner, is she being well looked after, what will happen if/when they give her back etc etc!

But I don't think I could live without some kind of horsey involvement in my life, when I've been without my own horse I've made do with a combination of lessons, shares, rides on friends horses and riding holidays, I've had some of my best riding experiences that way, in some ways riding horses which aren't your own is much nicer than your own, certainly more relaxing anyway. Would any of the above be an option for you OP?

Maneandfeathers Mon 09-Sep-19 08:51:00

Thanks everyone.

I’m currently in the dilemma where I have a lovely horse who I enjoy riding but I have no time at all to enjoy it. It’s costing me a small fortune and I’m only managing to squeeze in short rides once or twice per week. Horse is getting fatter and more unfit by the day and needs work to keep laminitis at bay.

I can’t afford full livery or even part livery and I also can’t find a sharer (I’ve tried but she’s tricky!)

So that leaves sell, full loan or keep struggling on?

notquiteruralbliss Wed 11-Sep-19 07:44:47

Gave up in my late 20s due to arthritis in my hip and lack of time. I didn’t sell though, I full loaned my mare to a fab home and I now have her daughter.

Restarted post hip op in my 40s. Now have 3 horses / ponies plus one one loan (all on livery) and 2 of my mares are due to have foals next year. Most of my disposable income goes on horses and I only have time to ride maybe twice a week ( DCs also ride so it’s fine).

For me keeping going is part of a long term plan, by the time I retire I should have 3 horses to ride 😂

longearedbat Sat 14-Sep-19 12:26:45

I had horses and ponies (and worked with horses, so very heavily involved) until my mid 20s. I had to then sell my horse as I was buying a property and couldn't afford a mortgage and a horse. I have never owned since, although I continued to back and school horses for other people in my spare time.
In what seemed like a blink of an eye I was in my late 50s and retirement beckoned. Great, I thought, I'll be able to have a horse again, (I had always wanted a PRE) but when it actually came to it, I decided it was no longer for me. I have dodgy knees, back and hips (thanks to years of riding difficult horses 4 hours a day, seven days a week), I now have an aversion to dirt, mud and being out in the cold, and I was concerned that a fall could possibly give me even more mobility problems. I still love horses, but I just admire from afar.
I instead have a dog that need exercise, grooming and training, but the difference is, on a cold winter night she is just as happy as me to stay in, in front of the stove, and you can't say that about a horse!

Honeyroar Sat 14-Sep-19 12:36:40

From your update I'd sell the horse and share someone else's if you still want to ride.

I used to work with horses, it became a job not a hobby. When I decided to go to uni I barely rode, and same when I started work. I occasionally had the odd phase of going to riding schools for the odd lesson, but found that once they realised I was an AI they put me on the more difficult horses that needed a capable rider and I started feeling like I was doing what I used to get paid for, but not paying to do it. Overall I had about a decade of barely riding. Then I moved back to where I grew up, bought a horse and started eventing again. After a few serious injuries to me (not from falls) I just hacked, and lately my two horses are pretty much retired and there have been s lot of bad illnesses in my close family, so the horses have been roughed off. I still enjoy the caring for them. We have them at home. I'm not sure whether I'd get another when these two go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »