Talk

Advanced search

Towing a trailer

(7 Posts)
amylwills Tue 06-Aug-19 18:56:53

I'm just in the process of buying a trailer to take my boy out and about in, however the car I currently have wont be able to tow. What is the cheapest car to buy that will tow? It is just for one 13.2 cob so not a huge horse. Thanks

DraughtyWindow Wed 07-Aug-19 10:03:05

Kia Sorento manual diesel pre 2009. They will tow up to 2.8T.
Remember the vehicle needs to be able to tow the max weight (incl. the weight of the trailer and horses) to be legal AND safe. (Look up the MAM for your trailer - I think the MAM for an IW 505 is 2340kg). Most people don’t realise this. Also look this up in VOSA.
www.iwt.co.uk/customer-care/faq-categories/towing-and-towing-laws/show/how-do-i-find-out-what-weight-trailer-i-can-tow-with-my-vehicle

RatherBeRiding Thu 08-Aug-19 11:45:56

If you're only ever planning on towing with one pony, look at a lightweight single trailer such as Cheval Liberte which will give you a lot more options for a tow vehicle.

As pp said, your bog standard double Ifor needs something that can pull 2500kg at least. The max gross weight of a single CL is 1600kg which gives you a lot more options for a tow vehicle.

Rosieposy4 Sat 10-Aug-19 18:06:06

Agree, I have a mare and a foal ifor which opens up the door to loads more cheap tow vehicles

krustykittens Sat 10-Aug-19 19:43:31

We have an Ifor 505 which is lovely and light. It is perfect for ponies and will give you more options with the car as well. I bought a second hand Land Rover Discovery 2 for £3000, it does the job great and I also use it to harrow my fields!

slavetolife Tue 13-Aug-19 16:34:09

OP what type of license do you have - if you passed after 1997 and haven't done the additional b+e trailer test then this limits the weight combinations of what you can get, BUT I have read on H+H forum before that a popular combination is a Skoda Octavia scout (basically a 4x4 estate) coupled with a bateson derby trailer, which is a perfect combination for towing just one small horse. You can get the trailer downplated by bateson so that it is within the legal towing limits for that model of car. Whatever you do make sure you check out thoroughly that the trailer is downplated to what the model of car can legally tow - if you don't you will be towing illegally and insurance etc will be invalid.

Lexilooo Tue 20-Aug-19 15:49:30

A pick up truck is the chespest option if you want to tow a decent weight. A Mitsubishi L200 or Izuzu D-max/Rodeo would be a good option.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »