Talk

Advanced search

Everyone telling us to call it quits with dpony

(60 Posts)
Lalalalalalalalaland Fri 02-Aug-19 17:54:17

Bought a pony around 6 weeks ago for DD who is nearly 8.

Came from neighbouring pony club, ex BSJA pony flew through its vetting and came with millions of amazing references. He's 22x we wanted something older that had been there and done that.

DD tried the pony a few times and he was ace. Got him home and started having problems jumping he just always dashes out to the right. We went to camp this week and he did it at nearly every jump.

He is otherwise great, hacks out without a lead rein hoof perfect, the few times shes fallen hes just stood by her and not run off, great manners on the ground.

She has twice lost her reins bringing him back to trot from canter as he pulls his head down, I'm presuming this is due to her pulling too hard on his bit.

His bit is a 3 ring gag with a grackle which i think is too much though he can be strong at times but she isn't yet gentle enough with her hands.

A few parents at camp have said we should just chalk it up to a bad job and get a new pony after he dodged every jump in the cross country.

However i don't want to give up on him as he is otherwise perfect. His old owners have been amazing and offered us loads of advice but it all comes down to the fact that she needs to be bossy with him and she isn't. I'm not sure that confidence can be taught, you are either brave or you aren't.

In this scenario would you stick at it with lots of lessins with good instructors and hope it comes or sell and try something easier for her?

Lalalalalalalalaland Mon 23-Sep-19 20:00:22

There i definately some pain. The back lady has been out this evening and his hips and back were out of line and he is already moving so much better!

LaPufalina Fri 20-Sep-19 21:21:12

Oh what a shame for you OP, but hope it works out with your new pony.
My oldest friend bought a pony for her six year old last year; she second-viewed one before that but turned up an hour early and he hadn't been doped yet. The little girl whose parents were selling refused to get on him and was sobbing.
I'll be in the market for a first pony for DD1 in a few years and can't believe people would do this sad

UrsulaPandress Fri 20-Sep-19 21:07:55

Thank goodness 🙄

UrsulaPandress Fri 20-Sep-19 21:07:37

Thank you he can end his days with you.

I hate seeing old horses advertised for sale.

Booboostwo Fri 20-Sep-19 20:34:08

In my experience this kind of behaviour is always down to pain. If he was able to jump on bite then clearly the painkiller was masking a physical issue.

I only mention this because I think you should be a little bit cautious with him even as a lead rein or flatwork pony. If he is in pain jumping, one day he may be in pain hacking and he may do something unpredictable and dangerous.

Lalalalalalalalaland Fri 20-Sep-19 16:06:52

Though the past few weeks when we've stepped work back up he has been stiff behind, we have been giving glucosamine and more turnout which has helped but may be a pain element.

Flexation tests in the vetting were fine

Lalalalalalalalaland Fri 20-Sep-19 16:03:55

Its not so much a medical issue as the fact that he is sour from being over jumped and years and years of competing, he just doesn't want to do it. the instructor told the old owners last year to stop before he hurts someone as he does not want to jump. Instructor said she had heard they gave him bute before competitions aswell as competition mix to rev him up. She is disgusted we were sold him as suitable for a 7 year old for pony club.

We had a 2 stage vetting done not a a 5 stage due to age and thst he wasn't overly expensive. Again not insured due to this reason (though she has normal pony club insurance for 3rd party) vet didn't pick up any pain or stiffness.

New loan pony is arriving monday with full references from pony.club DC, previous owners and with a 1 month trial. She can still flatwork him absoloutly but doesn't particularly have time to exercise 2 ponies, however he loves to hack and is otherwise a gentleman so he will do our 4 year old as a lovely lead rein hacking and flatwork pony. It's not his fault and unlike his previous owner we love our animals so he will live out his days with us doing som hacking and being treated like a king.

maxelly Fri 20-Sep-19 14:24:21

Oh no! So sorry to hear this. Just when things were looking up too... poor pony, but at least he's landed on his feet and will have a good home with you rather than being passed on again. I'd try and look on the positive side, at least you have found out now, if you'd pressed on and pushed him/DD to jump more and more (taking the well meaning but useless advice from other PC parents of just push him through it) it could all have ended in tears (more so than it has already!), so that's something.

It just goes to show that it's so so common for behavioural issues in horses/animals in general to be rooted in pain/fear rather than naughtiness - I'd go so far as to say nearly all the time (I know ponies can be little shits but it always sounded a bit with this one as though it was more than that).

Obviously the main blame here lies with his very unscrupulous previous owners who are scum of the earth angry angry , but I'd also want words with the vet that did the vetting and also the vet you had out to him when the problems started, did neither of them pick anything up? To be fair some things like hocks and KS only show up on X-Rays - I wouldn't blame you for not x-raying a 22 year old kids pony, and if he was doped there may not have been obvious symptoms. But if you had a 'normal' 5 stage bloods should have been taken at vetting and should show what he'd been given- if so then you may well be able to take out some kind of case against former owners as that is active deception rather than a case of caveat emptor. BHS have an excellent legal advice line you could talk to? Also is he insured for loss of use? They may well say 'previous known condition so excluded' but again if you had taken all reasonable steps including vetting and didn't find the issue then, you might get something.

So sorry this has happened, buying ponies is such a minefield. Hope your DD isn't too upset and it all works out OK with new loan pony...

UrsulaPandress Fri 20-Sep-19 12:45:21

I’d be naming and shaming the previous owners. Utter utter bastards.

Coffeeandchocolate9 Fri 20-Sep-19 12:43:13

If you had a 5* vetting ask your vets to test his blood sample for doping.

Coffeeandchocolate9 Fri 20-Sep-19 12:42:12

Whaaaat??? What a crazy rollercoaster of a story over only 6 weeks (and 12 weeks of pony in your life)!

What does the vet say?

It seemed like daughter was getting on so well with him having gone back to basics and taking it slower, and you've ramped up speed again really quite quickly.

FWIW I think he sounds sour from being over competed but perfectly adequate for your daughter to do flat work on.

Spudlet Fri 20-Sep-19 12:17:25

Oh no, poor little pony! But lucky to have landed with you, and not someone who’d dope him up and shift him on. I used to work in equine welfare... the number of people who’d do this is depressing.

Bless him, I hope he has a long and happy retirement with you. You sound like good people.

Pleasedontdothat Fri 20-Sep-19 12:11:15

That’s a very sad update - poor pony and poor you

Booboostwo Fri 20-Sep-19 07:34:25

Oh my goodness, what an awful end to this story! I am not surprised though, people will do anything to get rid of a pony. Good for you for keeping the pony and I am gladness your DD wasn’t hurt during all this.

Lalalalalalalalaland Thu 19-Sep-19 23:12:14

I come to you all with bad news...

We had a downturn in jumping again and general little shitness.

Our pony club have an excellent jump trainer so we decided to go to her tonight. She told us that she knew fudge with his previous owners and she told them to stop jumping him over a year ago.

He hates it, he is possibly in pain when he jumps and we are so upset. He was missold to us. Turns out they doped him for shows and possibly doped him the few times we tried him as he was so much more docile when we tried him compared to now.

We have hopefully found an amazing pony to loan for DD1 and dpony will stay with us now as a leadnrein for DD2 (no jumping) and then officially retire when she is ready to come off the lead rein.

We are so sad he was badly treated and doped and whipped to jump by his previous owner, and so mad that as a mother she would sell this pony to our 7 year.old for pony club.

Very expensive lesson learnt

Booboostwo Tue 10-Sep-19 08:41:27

Great update! Hope things continue to improve over the winter and your DD builds a strong relationship with DPony.

maxelly Sun 08-Sep-19 15:43:04

Really good to hear it's all going well for them grin

Lalalalalalalalaland Sat 07-Sep-19 20:16:11

We have our first clinic with a fabulous trainer next friday. And the ducking out does appear to have stopped after a lesson with the yard owner who realised that she just needed to 'let him go'

Being a showjumper hes used to working in canter, DD trying to jump him in trot and holding him bsck from cantering seemed to make him unsure what she was asking and so he was ducking out.

Now shes letti g him go the situation is much better. Definately learnt that it wasn't him it was her!

Now autumn has hit the pony club have lots of clinics on so we are going to knuckle down and attend lots of clinics and bond over the winter and see where we are in the spring.

We adore him, even if I'm pretty sure he owns us and not the other way around!

Pollydron Sat 07-Sep-19 11:35:09

Late to the thread but here’s my 2p worth: OP it sounds like you’ve landed a unicorn so am very glad to hear you’re persevering.

If it was me, I’d be less focussed on the bit and more focussed on DD’s leg and driving aids. He’s obviously a seasoned soldier and I’d bet he was testing her. Alternatively, as an older pony, he may respond better to stronger leg and seat aids?

Not saying your DD isn’t a confident rider but if she’s used to younger and less clever ponies, she may not be pushing him forwards enough or catching him in time before he ducks sideways?

There are lots of tips and tricks for this kind of behaviour so I’d be asking around for a few lessons with a decent sj instructor. It’s one of the easier problems to sort.

Good luck with it all!

Lalalalalalalalaland Thu 05-Sep-19 15:38:50

He had a lesson in a full cheek snaffle which went fine. He cant go far in the school so didn't mind trying it.

At the moment we are just working in keeping him in trot. I presume before he worked mostly in walj and canter so just trying to keep working on a nice balanced trot but things are lookin up

Manontry Wed 04-Sep-19 11:36:32

Aha sorry just seen update ! Goid news. It can take a year to get the best out of a pony.

Manontry Wed 04-Sep-19 11:35:13

His bit is ridiculous and he's taking the piss. I doubt there's anything physically wrong with him but nice of you to check.

Bsja ponies aren't necessarily in the slightest bit forgiving.

compulsiveliar2019 Thu 29-Aug-19 01:05:10

You could try these
https://www.balancedsupportreins.com/?page_id=42
In combination with a gentler bit and noseband. Will stop the pony being able to tug reins out of her hands and maintain a consistent contact.

Lalalalalalalalaland Wed 28-Aug-19 20:28:58

Update!

DD friends came back up a few weeks ago and Dpony followed friends pony over a few jumps. Next thing i know they were flying over them. She must have jumped it 20 times!!

Following week she did the 3 day camp ran by the riding school. He jumped everything (only doing crosspoles) with no refusals! On the last day they built a cross country style fence and jumped it for the parents... inagine my shock to see DD flying over it 1 handed with the worlds biggest grin and getting the camp trophy for confidence!

Its not all perfect by any means, her hands are still a bit all over the place as he has started pulling his head down in canter which causes her to lose her reins but we are getting there and very glad we didn't call it quits!

Pegase Thu 08-Aug-19 17:24:18

That's great! I find with my own riding I need to almost keep a diary of what goes well as I find it so easy to dwell on the negatives otherwise (and it does sound like pony camp was a bit a nightmare for your DD!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »