Talk

Advanced search

Hock Injections

(8 Posts)
Tashalburrows Wed 31-Jul-19 20:27:29

We have a welsh section c who is off to the vets next week for hock xrays after being intermittently lame. The vets think could be the start of arthritis and that he made need hock injections.

Does anybody have any experience of these ? We've been lucky that we've never had any problems with the other two ponies.

Just interested in recovery time and also cost as well.

Poor boy is not going to be a happy next week.

Brain06626 Thu 01-Aug-19 04:41:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

themimi Thu 01-Aug-19 08:35:53

Yes - had my mare done on Tues. She's been lame and we had done a week's rest but no better. Vet came up and did flexion tests and watched her lunged on hard and soft. She then did hock injections back left with my horse sedated. She has told us to ride again on Saturday. She is still living out. She said it might be arthritis and something she needs yearly but it's a case of watch and wait. Hopefully she'll go sound now - if not she will x-ray and/or nerve block.
Waiting for the billconfused

iKnowWhoYouAreSir Thu 01-Aug-19 09:13:18

Yes, our mare has had both hocks injected. First lot of injections seemed to work but then when she jumped went lame again. She was then injected with something different and this has really improved her. She will have to have them every 6 months but seems happy. There is the odd day where she seems stiff or unlevel but we were told to work her through it and usually after 15 mins and a quick canter she is ok. She is doing her first ODE next Sunday after getting the go ahead from vet and physio so a good result here 😊

appleaddiction Mon 05-Aug-19 12:47:16

My 17 y/o thoroughbred has just had his hocks done for the third time. He was diagnosed after x-rays a couple of years ago and has gone about 12 months between needing injections. This time around I noticed he wasn't as willing as usual to go forward in the school when I asked. He trotted up sound and lunged sound, but was lame on hind flexion tests. He's back doing Advanced dressage and BE90 ODE's and is back to his usual self in the school again smile The only downside is the vets bill now that his insurance has run out confused

appleaddiction Mon 05-Aug-19 12:47:27

My 17 y/o thoroughbred has just had his hocks done for the third time. He was diagnosed after x-rays a couple of years ago and has gone about 12 months between needing injections. This time around I noticed he wasn't as willing as usual to go forward in the school when I asked. He trotted up sound and lunged sound, but was lame on hind flexion tests. He's back doing Advanced dressage and BE90 ODE's and is back to his usual self in the school again smile The only downside is the vets bill now that his insurance has run out confused

RatherBeRiding Thu 08-Aug-19 11:56:33

My mare had her hocks injected first several years ago and after a short rehab (so much in walk, so much in trot etc) was given the all clear to do everything she had before. She has needed one further injection since I think but she's getting on a bit now and not ridden much.

I think the trick with hock arthritis is to try to keep them active. Also, the advice post-treatment seems to have changed and now its have the injection, take it easy for a while, then crack on.

Also just had 8 year old native injected in hock due to arthritic changes following months on box rest. He is still in the rehab stage for the suspensory injuries that necessitated the box rest so isn't able to jump yet, but is moving much better following the hock treatment.

I know lots and lots of horses who have had hock treatment - it's very common, and depending on the diagnosis is generally very treatable.

Just got vet bill for 8 year old and it was in the region of £350 for the one injection plus vet visit etc etc. Hopefully it is something he won't need again for quite a while as he's quite small and not at all overweight so there isn't the strain on his joints.

Anise7438 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:27:35

Yes my 14 year old gelding has had both hocks done twice. And coffin and fetlock joints up front. Three days box rest followed by 10 days increasing walk work then back to normal essentially

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »