Talk

Advanced search

Working hunter questions!

(4 Posts)
Gretol Sat 09-Jun-18 08:16:08

Does anyone know anything about working hunter classes? @butkin?

We have a very nice new forest...horse. He's approx 15hh so pure new forest but overheight. He might be 15.1.

He has a smart walk and trot, canter is unbalanced but getting there. He jumps well. Dd (12) looks just right on him (she's tall with long legs). She'd love to do a bit of working hunter but they are only jumping 80cm (pony capable of much more but they are new partnership). He also only has half a mane grin which is fine plaited up for eventing dressage but probably very bad for workers!

Any advice on whether we could give it a go and which classes? Obviously only interested in larger local shows not HOYS!

Sparklesandglitter Sat 09-Jun-18 19:55:23

You can do novice workers, usually around 2ft3-2ft6 and m and m workers which are usually max 2ft 6 I think.yiu can always start with clear round

RatherBeRiding Wed 13-Jun-18 17:28:37

Most local shows/venues offer a M&M Workers so no need to plait if you want to show him as a native, however if he only has half a mane, and is over-height anyway, I'd be inclined to pull/trim/plait and turn out as a typical hunter.

Again - most shows will have small classes. Our riding club WH classes start at 55cm! But the show part contributes 40% of the overall mark in Workers - 60% jumping. So he will need a decent show. And will be expected to show extended strides, so I'd advise to get some work into the canter!

Pebblespony Wed 13-Jun-18 20:07:05

I regular act as ring steward and scribe for WH classes. Judges find manners quite important, they hate a horse that won't stand still. Jumps are marked on style but a fence down can be costly. In a larger class, only clear rounds will be called back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: