Talk

Advanced search

Ouch! Knee into gatepost while riding

(17 Posts)
Damnsandra Sun 11-Feb-18 19:25:50

Had this happen before but today has to be the worst. Avoiding a terrifying puddle angry just walking. No drama, but wow the pain!

I was wearing full chaps over jodhpurs but skin is broken and it REALLY hurts. Happened at midday.

Had naproxen and paracetamol (DH is a pharmacist) and put ice on it.

Owwwwwww!!!

Anyone else sympathise with such a specific injury? grin

Frouby Sun 11-Feb-18 19:29:34

Lots of sympathy from me.

Horses are knobheads sometimes. Dpony will not get his feet wet. Even if it means squashing me into the field gate to get out. And he is a welshie so should be used to puddles.

twinone Sun 11-Feb-18 19:34:41

Oh yes, my pony took a sharp turn off a footbridge and caught my knee in the process. He proceeded to bomb up the field with me crying and hanging on at the same time.
Loved that pony sad.
Current pony has rather better manners and will stop when asked.

Moonflower12 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:05:06

I used to have a section D who would rub you into every fence post he could!
My friends in the yard would laugh as they heard' trot on, trot on, trot on- NOOOOO not the fence, arrrrgh!'
So yes I feel your pain. Hope your knee is better soon.

damnsandra Sun 11-Feb-18 20:55:35

grin

This has made me feel much better!

Yes this horse is also a big stocky cob, native type so shouldn't be flapping about a bit of muddy water!

Wolfiefan Sun 11-Feb-18 20:57:42

Ow! You've just made me have a flashback. Out riding on a borrowed horse. He charged straight at a tree. Turned his head and applied leg aid to try and move his bum round. Failed. Rode knee first into a bloody big tree. That hurt!

honeyroar Sun 11-Feb-18 21:12:14

My first pony did that out hunting (the once and only time I took him!). I couldn't stop and he rushed through a gateway banging my knee at a canter, and I still couldn't stop. I thought I'd broken my kneecap and he was still hurtling across the next fields. Little swine. It was over 30 years ago and I can still remember how it hurt! And the bruise.

Hope you feel better soon,

Squirrel26 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:48:30

Big Baby cob almost did this to me today with a bloody great tree, trying not to get his feet muddy. Then he helpfully swiped me through a holly bush. Then we had a lesson and when asked how he was going today, all I could think of to say was 'he's being a bit of an arse'. grin

QuestionableMouse Sun 11-Feb-18 21:53:41

I learned to swap my crop over and waggle it to get one cob to stop running my knees onto things. Little git.

plominoagain Sun 11-Feb-18 22:12:03

I got fed into a gatepost knee first on my second ride back in the saddle after cracking my tibia hopping off a mounting block after forgetting to tighten my girth , when the horse moved away .

Ended up having to go to A and E as it started turning black with huge bruising , only to find I’d cracked that one too . Another six weeks in plaster and then crutches . And it was the same doctor who saw me , and the same nurse that plastered me . They told me to give up horses !

I wouldn’t mind if I’d been doing something dramatic like x country , but to break my legs first at at a standstill , and then at a walk , well that’s embarrassing.

brownelephant Sun 11-Feb-18 22:13:51

outch
hope it feels better soon. but do get it seen if it doesn't improve or gets worse

damnsandra Mon 12-Feb-18 15:57:56

Came to Minor Injuries as it's been so painful. Ouch!

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Feb-18 16:41:16

Oh no. Here's hoping it is just soft tissue soreness and not a kneecap or boney issue. Get the good drugs!

damnsandra Mon 12-Feb-18 18:11:30

Yes no bony injury. rest, ice and painkillers.

Again -ooooowwwwwww

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Feb-18 18:15:32

I remember the owwewwweeeeee. I've had two children. I think the knee pain is more vivid a memory.
RICE
You MUST be waited on hand and foot. The medical experts said so!

Fireinthegrate Mon 12-Feb-18 18:21:46

Ouch, hope it feels better soon

Years ago my pony unexpectedly turned off the path and walked straight through a thick hedge. A horizontal branch caught me across the chest and pushed me back over his bottom and onto the floor, badly winding me.

Goodness knows what he thought he was about!

GothMummy Mon 12-Feb-18 18:29:16

Ouch! My horse is an idiot and tends to spook going through horse styles. I try to ride him straight but always end up yelling "my leg! You idiot, my leg!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now