Talk

Advanced search

A WWYD with this mare ???

(3 Posts)
jasleigh Thu 07-Dec-17 22:34:46

Bought my mare shod in April 2016, okay for first few months then on/off lameness ever since, xrays & MRI showed medial imbalance due to her confirmation, New farrier, remedial shoeing, still unable to stay sound, decided 8 weeks ago to go barefoot, seemed to work well to begin with, but even after 5 weeks and my farrier warned it wasn't going to last and he's right she's struggling again with the way she's loading her front feet. Honestly I'm emotionally exhausted, financially she's had everything she's needed. Speaking to the vet at Rossdales it was always going to be a guarded prognosis if she returned to work due to the severity of her imbalance, am I awful considering PTS, she's 8 yrs old, but I'm out of options & exhausted with worry. My last mare was PTS due to hind ligament damage, after operations & rehab, so this is my 4th year of horse stress & worry.
Sorry for the woe is me thread, feeling totally fed up !

AGapInTheMarket Thu 07-Dec-17 23:51:11

Eight weeks is only very early in the process of transitioning to barefoot. Despite x-rays and vet's prognosis, I'm sure there are sound horses out there with less-than-ideal conformation. I'd definitely be giving her some more time!

Ollivander84 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:54:18

Might be worth a look on here, they have a decent blog
http://www.rockleyfarm.co.uk/index.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now