Talk

Advanced search

Body protector for 4 year old

(8 Posts)
smerlin Mon 20-Nov-17 15:28:10

I want to get my 4 year old a BP before she starts riding. I know she will be starting on lead rein but am feeling over cautious after I had a bad fall last week.

Have gone to tack shop and found outlyne junior for £100 and racesafe for £130

How long should I expect them to last. Didn’t mind (too much) shelling out for mine as I’m not intending to grow but she rockets up in height every few months it feels!

ekoor Tue 28-Nov-17 11:16:22

Would like to follow this thread too also as my 3 year old rides but I haven't found a protector small enough which doesn't ride up around her ears.

WasDoingFine Sun 03-Dec-17 20:41:45

My son's lasted about a year.

They need to be correctly fitted though

notasausage Mon 04-Dec-17 11:59:58

I might be controversial but I wouldn’t use a body protector until the child is ready to be off lead rein. Body protectors, for all they will provide protection in a fall, they also inhibit development of balance and coordination as even a properly fitted one will restrict movement. It’s a risk/benefit decision for every individual parent but a child being led is at much lower risk of a high speed fall from significant height compared to one under control of their own pony.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 05-Dec-17 13:23:57

I would agree with notasausage on this one ...

Sparklesandglitter Thu 07-Dec-17 18:04:42

I also agree my child wears one for jumping/ XC at PC as it's compulsory but nowhere else she has great balance and is also tiny so it really impacts movement. We have aerowear it cost £55 and is up to standard

Austentatious Thu 07-Dec-17 18:06:33

What notasausage said. Mine got theirs (Harry hall) when they were trotting by themselves

donajimena Thu 07-Dec-17 18:06:37

I used to suspend myself on the pommel when dismounting when I wore mine blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now