Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about the logistics of getting a horse for dd

(14 Posts)
noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 30-Sep-17 20:20:31

We're planning on moving to Somerset in a couple of years time when dd will be going into sixth form. Dd (14) has been riding regularly two or three times a week for six years now and has done her BHS stage 1. She works at the stables she rides at one day at the weekend and most days during school holidays. To my untutored eye she looks like she's a very neat, competent rider and she seems to have superglue on her bum as she's often given the feistier ponies to ride. She like bed jumping but has started to appreciate dressage too.

She has been desperate to have her own pony for years but the logistics of where we live and the location of stables and school plus nightmare city traffic mean that it's been impossible so far. But once we move that should change.

However I am clueless as to how to go about it. I'm assuming we'd be better off loaning rather than buying as she may well be heading off to university a couple of years after we move (the course she wants to do is offered at a very good uni not far from where we're planning on going but there's no guarantee she won't have changed her mind or get on the course as it's very competitive).

What do we do first - look for space at a livery yard or look for a loan? And how do we make sure we're not been ripped off? Dd will want to compete at a local level and we will have a decent-ish budget

Thanks

Fireinthegrate Sun 01-Oct-17 17:22:33

You might be better off with a loan horse if your daughter is going off to uni, however, they are like hens teeth trying to find one that suits you.

Also, look for livery first and reserve a space.

Trawl through Horsemart, Horsequest etc, to find the right horse. Look at several and go back a look again at those you like. When I bought my daughter her jumping pony we viewed him 4 times.

If, once you have moved, your daughter has a good instrusctor you could ask him/her to accompany you to viewings.

Always get the horse vetted.

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 01-Oct-17 17:26:37

Part loan might work for you it's half the week or so. I had a few at that age.

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 01-Oct-17 17:27:59

That said by 6th form my interest was waning and I wanted to go out with my friends more than ride. 14-16 was the most I rode

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 01-Oct-17 17:28:16

Loan would be best as presumably she'll be off to Uni in a couple of years time!

noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 03-Oct-17 21:54:20

Thank you - it all seems very complicated...

Moanranger Wed 04-Oct-17 00:06:11

Buying not a good idea. We bought DDs second horse when she was around 17 , but we then had three years (between 20-23) when we had to put him on loan, which was a hassle. All the loan homes good, but none lasted more than a year.
Look for either a loan or a share. I think the best place now is FB. I am on several local rider FB groups and loans/shares come up regularly. If she is a good rider, not novice, she will probably find something suitable. Quite a few are youngish, 4-6, which is fine for a competent rider. The advantage with a loan is that you can try it a few times & in different situations, & you are less pressured than when you buy. Vetting is less of an issue since you do not own the horse. (Vetting can get mighty expensive!) you usually come to an arrangement over vet fees during the loan period. The BHS has a v useful standard loan contract that is widely accepted. Good luck!

HollyBollyBooBoo Wed 04-Oct-17 04:57:39

Honestly it might just be easier to pay for an extra lesson or hack each week.

If she's going into 6th form A levels are so much harder than GCSEs so she'll need more time to focus on studies. Plus she'll be in a new area and will want to build friendships. It doesn't really feel like the right time to get your first horse.

Restingwitchface Sat 07-Oct-17 09:09:28

Buy and join the local pony club. If it's a good horse you'll be able to sell it on fairly easily. You'll never find a decent loan particularly if you are first time owners.

Restingwitchface Sat 07-Oct-17 09:10:47

Plus she'll be in a new area and will want to build friendships. It doesn't really feel like the right time to get your first horse.

Dd17s closest friendships are with her pony club friends. Lots of good pony clubs in Somerset, we are nearby, pm if you want

Sadmum987 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:16:03

I'm going to agree with queenofthedrivensnow here. My daughter has had her own horse for ages. Early/mid secondary school it was the be all and end all. Then she hit 17. She still loves her horse but has little interest in going him or anything with him. To be honest she has that much going on with school and other commitments that she has no time anyway. The workload in 6th form is big!

Loosemoose28 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:59:15

Look for a part loan or share on a yard.
In my area its £100 month for two days a week. I sacrificed everything to keep my horse through uni but equally many of my friends didn't and sold on or loaned out.

Mrsyorkie Wed 11-Oct-17 19:30:25

I think you'd be better off sharing/part loan to start off with.
Make sure you discuss what that entails though... I always felt that a loan/part loan could differ from one person to another.
I was lucky enough to share my horse which meant I paid 100 pounds per month and the agreement was that I'd let the owner know which days I would like to go up the following week (this was a very flexible agreement) so we didn't clash. He was initially full livery and then moved yards to DIY. I didn't mind this but it took up lots more time with a slight extra travel, mucking out, pulling in from the field, filling nets... and then grooming and riding. Some owners will expect you to contribute to shoes/vet bills etc depending on your agreement. I was incredibly lucky!

NotYetAMummy24 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:00:34

Do you know anything about horses yourself? Loan is certainly a better idea with her heading to Uni in the not too distant future!

Being on the other side (as the person loaning out the horse) personally i refused to loan to anyone undee 18 unless their parents wrre also horsey. Additionally keep in mind that some people will want their horse kept on the same yard when it is loaned out whilst some are prepared to let it move.

Are you looking for full loan? Half loan? If full, will you be keeping it on full livery, part livery, diy? If full livery are you prepared for that expense? If DIY are you prepared to be driving your daughter to the yard potentially twice a day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now