Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Back protectors

(14 Posts)
ChoudeBruxelles Sat 02-Sep-17 12:30:08

I've recently started riding again after about 12 years. I have been doing small jumps but want to get a back protector before doing any bigger jumps.

Any recommendations for good back protectors for jumping?

iveburntthetoast Sat 02-Sep-17 14:04:53

I'll be watching this closely! I've also just got back into riding. I tried a few body protectors on but they felt so claustrophobic, I couldn't stand to have them on. DD1 wears one, as so many of the children. However, very few of the adults wear them in lessons--maybe I'm not the only one who finds fhem awkward? I think I must have a short body as all the ones I tried on were too long at the back.

Auntiedahlia Sat 02-Sep-17 15:55:40

I had one fitted to me a couple of years ago. Cost about £150. Have I ever worn it? Nope.

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 02-Sep-17 15:59:14

I don't normally wearing them for flat work, hacks but I'm glad I had a borrowed one on this morning when I was bounced off when the horse decided to jump the 2' pole like it was 5' and I landed on my back.

I just found the borrowed one really bulky and restrictive

bandito Sat 02-Sep-17 18:25:35

I really like my racesafe as the foam is in little squares, so it's very flexible and light. I used to have a rodney powell with a three part back which was really stiff. That said though, I have managed to break ribs and fracture a vertebrate wearing a back protector, both times whilst schooling on the flat hmm. Half my friends reckon that I would have been much worse off without it and half reckon it was part of the problem - I will never know. I'd still never ride without one though and would recommend racesafe for comfort.

kitkat321 Sat 02-Sep-17 22:58:17

I had an airowear outlyne bp but sold it when I sold my horse - have started hacking out a friends horse and I feel naked without it.

I never wore it schooling or show jumping - just for hacking or XC.

It really molded to your shape once it heated up but could be a bit stiff initially.

An alternative is one of those air vests if you don't like the bulk of a bp (and you aren't doing any cross country)

mrslaughan Sun 03-Sep-17 12:56:58

I don't wear one as I don't jump. Both my kids have the race safe pro vent now and they are fantastic . Don't restrict movement and really comfy (important as I would struggle to get them to wear them) .

My husband has a dainese - it just covers his back and is lighter weight and less bulky than the racesafe BUT he came off and broke a rib as he landed awkwardly. It was actually his elbow on his rib cage under his armpit that did the damage (hope that makes sense)- if he had been wearing a racesafe like the kids that wouldn't have happened.

IsItTimeForGinYet Sun 03-Sep-17 19:34:32

Love my provent made by racesafe.

Moanranger Sun 03-Sep-17 23:17:42

I have now gone over to wearing an air jacket. I came off hunting a few years ago & it inflated & was brill. I somersaulted off Dhoss day before yesterday when he decided to stand off a small cross pole & I wasn't wearing any sort of back protector. Am very lucky I came to no harm, (just sore) but as of yesterday I am always jumping with as air jacket. Having experienced a fall with one, I can commend them. Not cheap, though!

clatteringhooves Mon 04-Sep-17 09:21:30

The airowear outlyne, if properly fitted, molds to your body shape. It's the most comfortable one I've found. My super fussy dd wears one happily as well!

smerlin Sat 07-Oct-17 12:55:51

Same as PP- I have airowear outlyne and is only stiff for the first five minutes but once it is warm, I don't notice it.

Do need to dismount with enough clearance to not get hooked on the saddle thoughwink

plominoagain Sat 07-Oct-17 19:26:23

I have a point two air jacket . Wear it all the time , hacking , dressage , all the time , not just for jumping . And the time it really saved my bacon was out hacking less than ten minutes from home , when my horse slipped and fell on the road , and landed on me . Bit of a pain if you forget to unclip before dismounting , and also keeping a few spare canisters about , but worth their weight . Expensive , but I paid in instalments .

Eve Mon 09-Oct-17 09:00:39

you need to go to a saddlery shop with a good selection and get one fitted.

No point doing recommendations as different types suit different body shapes.

thetemptationofchocolate Mon 09-Oct-17 14:51:52

Yes, go and try them otherwise you could end up with the wrong one for your shape.
They are much better than they used to be and have a big advantage if you are busty - they are better than any sports bra for keeping your bosoms under control smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now