Talk

Advanced search

Lessons

(6 Posts)
CloudWatching Fri 16-Jun-17 12:48:05

DD is 7 and has had 40 lessons since last year.
I have absolutely no experience/knowledge of riding at all, so sorry for my ignorance.
Most weeks they go hacking, sometimes they stay in the enclosed area and practice trotting and maneuvering around traffic cones.
What I would like to know is when do they start to learn how to canter, from what I've seen the group are doing what they did in the first 10 lessons.
Is this usual?

Orlandointhewilderness Fri 16-Jun-17 12:50:36

She should be cantering by now. Very easy for a child to get bored endlessly doing the same thing!

Floralnomad Sun 18-Jun-17 00:24:58

I'd be looking for a different school and if you can run to it have a few private lessons . A 30 minute private lesson is more beneficial than an hour of plodding in a circle , it sounds like you are wasting your money where you are .

Rosieposy4 Sun 18-Jun-17 20:47:02

Agree, time to swap riding school. Not enough progress, or fun for her.

5OBalesofHay Mon 19-Jun-17 00:35:08

As long as she is always on the correct diagonal, rides a nice outline and understands correct lead (and how to ask for it) she is ready for canter.

CloudWatching Mon 19-Jun-17 09:19:32

Thank you for the replies.
We definitely won't be going back there, I'll find a new school and also ask about private lessons.
We are not in the UK but hopefully the next instructor will be willing to explain the technique required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now