Talk

Advanced search

Feels like an AIBU

(8 Posts)
notquiteruralbliss Fri 26-May-17 22:59:14

How daft would I be to let my 14yo DD, who is a decent rider but has not ridden much in the past year, take over a 16.2+ fit competition horse?

We already have the horse (she belongs to DD's older sister) and DD would get training from the professional who usually rides her.

If I had been buying a horse for DD I would have gone for less of a sports model but she has tried her and they got on surprisingly well.

Rollingdinosaur Sat 27-May-17 08:22:44

Given that you already have the horse, I can't see the harm in trying it. If it doesn't work out, then you would obviously need to have a re think. Why has she not ridden in the last year though?

notquiteruralbliss Sat 27-May-17 11:24:28

Hasn't ridden much because she didn't have a horse to ride (lost her pony about a year ago and was having the odd lesson on mine until she got turned away for the winter) and wasn't massively missing it.

She has tried DHorse a couple of times on the flat and enjoyed riding her. They've not jumped yet though. And jumping is DHorse's thing.

Floralnomad Sat 27-May-17 13:43:04

Can't see the problem with it , my first horse was a 16.1 ex race mare and that was when I was 13 , as long as your daughter is competent shouldn't be a problem.

Booboostwo Sat 27-May-17 16:02:37

If she is enjoying riding the horse on the flat I don't see why she shouldn't continue. And maybe book jumping lessons so that she has the support of the trainer on the ground. If the trainer is around to iron out any problems the two of them may build a partnership sooner than you think.

Gabilan Sun 28-May-17 20:18:18

I say go for it. With an instructor to help, your DD could forge a great relationship. IME it's that that really counts. My first horse was, on paper, far too much for me. But he liked me and didn't really like other people very much so we got on.

Better a 16.2 that you know than a 15.2 that you don't.

notquiteruralbliss Sun 04-Jun-17 17:06:19

Thanks all for the reassurance. DD has had her first jumping lesson with the pro and it went really well. We will be going slowly as DHorse is a big powerfully built mare (she is actually a little over 17h) so a huge step up for DD.

Butkin1 Mon 05-Jun-17 13:28:40

I'd say go for it but feed accordingly if you're not going to compete again for a while..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now