Talk

Advanced search

Pony stressed about flies?

(10 Posts)
Blackfellpony Fri 26-May-17 21:35:41

I have a very green very babyish new pony and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about an issue we are currently working through.

She's a lovely girl but has a tendency to be silly in her mouth. By that I mean a bit of tongue evading the bit, throwing head around when unsure or not wanting to go forwards. I have put lots of this down to being immature as she does it badly when going downhill (unbalanced I think)

However when going through areas with lots of flies she tends to do it quite severely, chucking her head around, snatching, stamping and mini rearing.

Once the flies have passed she goes back to normal so I'm thinking she's just really sensitive confused

She's had her back, teeth and saddle checked and we are also having lessons with an instructor twice per week. She's in a snaffle bit with caveson noseband.

Is there something I can use to stop the flies bothering her so much, or would I be better off just pushing her forward and telling her to get on with it blush

Thanks!

Garnethair Fri 26-May-17 22:40:58

You've tried fly spray I'm assuming? A decent one with Deet in?

Truckingalong Fri 26-May-17 22:53:45

You could try a nose net.

Blackfellpony Sat 27-May-17 07:02:35

Yes she has a good fly spray. She's really sensitive to flies, she stamps at them in the fields too. Any recomendations of a good one that may be better?

I will try a nose net and hope that helps!

RatherBeRiding Wed 31-May-17 11:31:56

My youngster is a bit like this when hacking and he gets attacked. I have found Phaser by far and away the best fly deterrent. I would second a net and also a fly veil to keep the things off your pony's ears. I always use one when hacking and the flies are likely to be a problem. Other than that I just trot and keep him moving forward briskly when in fly infested areas (woods etc).

mrslaughan Wed 31-May-17 20:57:39

Also an ear veil...... and you can get fly rugs that are designed to be ridden in.......

My mare hates them around her ears.....

Pasithea Wed 31-May-17 21:05:26

We have just moved and my wb hates the midges and flies. I use skin so soft by Avon and feed fly free it's brilliant and on exceptionally bad days a face mask and fly rug.

Butkin1 Thu 01-Jun-17 10:43:24

We have a head shaker who is very poor in the summer with flying insects and even pollen. She wears a nose net to be ridden and we have her on Shake Free, by Global herbs, which seems to really help.
She jumped clear at Hickstead on Sunday wearing her nose net as you can use them in Arena eventing..

Blackfellpony Thu 01-Jun-17 19:27:50

Thankyou all.

She had another tantrum about flies today so i am hoping to get a fly veil and some strong repellant tomorrow.

I'm hoping it's something she will grow out of and that she isnt a head shaker sad

Pixel Mon 05-Jun-17 22:48:38

Lots of suggestions here, and vinegar is quite good too if you don't mind your pony smelling like a chip shop!

Have you heard of a Red Top Fly Trap? We bought one a couple of years ago when the weather turned hot and we had flies around the chicken run and were amazed at how effective it was. It catches flies literally in their hundreds and works over a large area. I thought maybe you could try hanging one (or two) near your school when you are having your lessons and it might help her to be more settled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now