Talk

Advanced search

Trailer or horsebox

(15 Posts)
Blackfellpony Mon 15-May-17 07:52:54

What do you have and what do you prefer?

Trailer would be cheaper as we already have a 4x4, however I could only tow one due to the towing capacity of the car. Cheaper to maintain and no extra tax etc.

3.5 horsebox is another option which I would feel much better driving, but will it cost me a small fortune to run?

I would be using it a few times a month, one a week perhaps in summer!

Butkin1 Mon 15-May-17 14:49:30

For years we had an Ifor Williams trailer and it was great - especially when we were doing endurance and could unhitch it at events.

As DD got older and we needed "living" we moved onto a 6.5 tonne side loader. However we found it frustrating at shows to have a side ramp so last August we took the plunge and bought a 7.5 tonne 3 horse box and best thing we've ever done. Great at shows where we have the use of our own living and toilet, TV etc. Hopefully not devaluing much either !

Booboostwo Mon 15-May-17 20:38:28

Many 3,5t can only legally carry one horse so check the payload carefully.

A lorry is much more costly, if you already have the 4x4 I'd go with the trailer.

frostyfingers Tue 16-May-17 11:46:14

We had a trailer for years, but moved over to a 7.5t lorry about 3 years ago. Where we live is hilly and our regular route involved a very steep hill from a standing start and it was beginning to kill our elderly car!

A lorry is much easier (for me) to drive but from your description it sounds like the trailer is the most cost effective option - it doesn't do a lorry good to be sitting around much. If we went back to a trailer I think I'd go on a course to learn to drive it properly!

We looked at the van things & 3.5t lorries but the capacity as Booboostwo says is usually only for one (even if they say stalled for two) which is no good. The 3.5t are expensive as they don't need a separate test (I was old enough to drive the 7.5t without another test). With hindsight we could have managed with a slightly smaller one but we're very happy with what we've got.

Blackfellpony Tue 16-May-17 13:48:42

Thanks everyone.
I'm thinking of going with a lightweight trailer (ifor 505?) which would give me capacity to tow two ponies with 500kg towing capacity 'spare'

I would need the test though sadly!

Butkin1 Tue 16-May-17 14:33:35

I'm sure that will work out well for you. We had one for decades although I would strongly advise you to get it checked over by a dealer once bought and make sure it has a metal floor. you should be able to get a very nice one for between 2000 and 2,500..

Good luck with your test - we were old enough not to need one but good to practise. Amazing how many people can't reverse them!

Butkin1 Tue 16-May-17 14:35:36

What car are you thinking of towing it with? I had an older Freelander and didn't think it had enough torque to pull comfortably and got a Hyundai Santa Fe which did the job well (although I wouldn't have wanted to buy my car after years of towing!)

Blackfellpony Tue 16-May-17 14:35:55

Thankyou! I'm not sure whether to beg DH to do the test instead as my driving and manoeuvring are not exactly brilliant. He would pass much easier than me.

I will look for a metal floor one. My car can tow 2300kg so thankfully we have a fair bit of room to play with if one of us has the right lisense grin

Orlandointhewilderness Tue 16-May-17 14:36:22

I would say trailer. I have worked with horses in all capacities for nearly 20 years, including up to advanced level eventing. I have met a fair few horses that dislike the 3.5 tonne boxes. Ifor williams trailers are lovely, tow well and hold their value. Echo above though - check floors and ramp.

Blackfellpony Tue 16-May-17 14:37:05

The car is a Tiguan 4x4 model, fairly high tow capacity.
I would be pulling two fells so not monsters but fairly chunky!

Butkin1 Tue 16-May-17 14:54:10

I have a Tiguan now - lovely car - but probably wouldn't tow two fells with it. Speak to a VW franchise and they will advise you what it can tow. The car's weight (heavier the better) is key..

Blackfellpony Tue 16-May-17 15:12:43

I spoke to the guy who runs the trailer test training who said it would be fine as it's well within the weights and towing limits- I will check again though!
I think the towing limit on mine is 2200-2300kg, an ifor plus two ponies would be somewhere around 1800kg so well under capacity. He didn't say the weights would be a problem as it's heavier than the tow limit confused

I have a friend who tows a 511 plus a dales and a cob with hers shock

I will definitely look into it again to make sure!

DraughtyWindow Sun 21-May-17 22:56:20

You also need to factor in the weight of the people, water, tack and hay etc.,,,,

UrsulaPandress Sun 21-May-17 23:01:35

I've got a 510 for sale. I've just upgraded to a 3.5t box. The horse hates it but I love it. Had to always get DH involved when using the trailer as despite being a fully functioning degree educated ball breaking female I cannot reverse a jeffing trailer.

MSH2010 Mon 22-May-17 06:12:08

We upgraded from a trailer to a 6.5t lorry 2 years ago and it's the best thing we did.

It's cheaper to run than the 4x4 and trailer. Great in all weather's and comfortably takes two horses plus all equipment and water

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now