Talk

Advanced search

3 lessons going on at same time - aibu?

(10 Posts)
MeltingSnowflake Thu 11-May-17 02:29:32

Just that really!

I'm just getting back into riding after ages out of the saddle and after searching for ages for a decent school I thought I'd found one (I'm a brit living in LA - riding schools are not that easy to find w/in a reasonable distance!).

This school has nice horses and I rate my instructor, but - apart from scheduling being a nightmare as they're so popular - I was a little annoyed to have to share the relatively small school with TWO other classes!

We all had different instructors, but it was tricky to tell which instructor was shouting instructions to which pupil, etc. etc. Plus there was more than one pupil in each class - so there were at least 6 of us in there.

Is this quite usual these days? Am I being unreasonable to expect the school to myself (and my friend who I have lessons with) when we're paying $75 EACH? hmm

MeltingSnowflake Thu 11-May-17 02:31:00

Also, should I give them one more go incase that was a one off or just try somewhere new?

ArsenalsPlayingAtHome Thu 11-May-17 15:01:23

I don't know much, but I know I wouldn't be happy with that. YANBU.

Rollingdinosaur Thu 11-May-17 20:28:53

That sounds utterly ridiculous! I'd look elsewhere if that is normal practice for them.

noramum Sat 13-May-17 19:54:11

Hm, DD's school often has 2-3 instructors with 1-2-1 lessons or one group (4/5 children) plus one 1-2-1 lesson.

But, the arenas are big enough for them not to get into each other. The instructors are also careful to call the pupil's name before giving a command.

In the 3 years DD rides it always worked very well.

I think it totally depends how big the arena is and how well the instructors work together.

ChickenBhuna Sat 13-May-17 20:03:11

I wouldn't be happy with that OP.

My daughter attends group lessons and there is only ever one group (6-8 ponies) in the arena at a time. I struggle to see how it would work with any more than one instructor as they need to raise their voices! These lessons are what I would say are at the cheaper end too , I travel to the outskirts of my city for them and the space that's on offer.

CatchIt Sun 14-May-17 09:59:35

75 dollars??!! To share with 2 other classes?? That's crazy and there's no way I'd be happy with that. I don't know what the solution would be but that's eye watering!

SnugglyBedSocks Sat 20-May-17 23:42:48

How big is the school? Our school is 20x40 and 20x60m. They are split in half on occasion

Moanranger Wed 24-May-17 23:16:14

I took a lesson or two at the big Trent equestrian centre on north edge of London & once had three lessons on the go in three languages. Character building! BUT - it has a vast arena and , they were all 1on 1 lessons. I was more worried about other riders knowing the rules ( pass left to left, slow on the inside, that sort of thing).
$75 for group lessons is pricey & multiple group lessons seems a bit much.

MeltingSnowflake Thu 25-May-17 00:24:41

Yeah, it's not a huge school - feels like 3/4 size, or even half the size of a regular school. Ugh, so tricky - it's so tough to find a decent place here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now