Talk

Advanced search

Neglect and some advice

(5 Posts)
Nohorseyclue Sat 22-Apr-17 19:59:47

I am not very clued up on horses so please forgive my ignorance! I'm going to be vague so I don't identify anyone just in case they are on here!

Basically someone I know owns a yard she has 3 horses and due to ill health had to put her horses on loan. Another lady with her own horses rented her yard and also took yard owners horses on too.

Cut a long story short yard owner now fit and well went to visit her horses to discover they had open sores and lice. Then looking at the lady who rents the yards horses they are very thin and also have sores.

The person I know (sorry for being so so vague!) called her vet who came out and was horrified when person who rents the yards horses rug was taken off and discovered he was bald very thin also covered in lice. RSPCA have been out and given a few weeks for owners to get horses sorted. It's been a week and speaking to the person I know her horses have been treated and clipped but the person who rents the yard who's horses are in a horrible state has only been up a few times to feed them, hasn't as yet sprayed them or removed their rugs.

There are a lot of people really upset at the neglect and I wondered what the rspca might do when they return to find they are still not in a good way. Person who owns the yard wants to take horses from her and get them back to a good condition.

Can anyone advise?

I hope that made some sense, really sorry!

Gabilan Sat 22-Apr-17 20:28:11

I would contact World Horse Welfare and ask them for advice. I think you'll find they're more effective than the RSPCA.

RedComet Sat 22-Apr-17 22:58:54

I'd be surprised if the RSPCA did anything at all. I know if a fair few cases where they did absolutely nothing.

Nohorseyclue Sun 23-Apr-17 08:44:17

Thank you

Booboostwo Sun 23-Apr-17 20:06:27

Yes RSPCA are useless, WHW much better.

If your friend is tempted to take on the horses that is a lovely thing to do but she should make sure the current owner accepts a nominal sum (one pound per horse?) in the presence of a witness to the sale. Otherwise there is a risk the owner will come back to claim her horses right after your friend has nursed them back to health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now