Talk

Advanced search

Leaving a livery yard after a month?

(10 Posts)
Blackfellpony Mon 17-Apr-17 12:32:52

Sorry second post in as many days blush

We got a new pony last week. Settled quickly really, very calm today compared to the day she came.
Moved to a new yard as our current yard was full. We have another two horses on that yard. We had no idea that any stables would be coming available on this yard as people never move but sadly a horse has died and I have been offered the space.

I now feel awful about new yard as the people have been lovely, helpful and I really do like it but I just prefer my old yard with my old friends etc.

What would be the best thing to say and how much notice do I need to give?
Can I give notice and move immediately to save awkwardness.

I really really hate confrontation of any kind and over think things too much.

JustNotCoping123 Mon 17-Apr-17 12:40:24

Honestly is usually the best policy- although occasionally with livery yards it can get a bit awkward! Are your other two horses at the other yard? If so, I would just explain to the yard where you're keeping the pony that a space has come up unexpectedly, and that whilst you really like their yard and have found people really helpful, friendly etc it would be easier for you to have them all in the same place.

Most yards have a 1 month notice policy, but it should say in your contract if you've signed one? As long as you pay your notice period in full you can move your pony at any time during that, you wouldn't have to stay till notice is up, so if you can afford a month of double livery (i.e. month at new yard, month at old yard) then I would do that and get pony moved asap. If it's settled so well within a week it should adapt to another change fairly easily.

At the end of the day this isn't uncommon on yards- I've moved mine a few times over the years and generally it's gone smoothly. I hope everything works out for you smile

Fingalswave Mon 17-Apr-17 12:42:19

I think most owners would understand that it's much more convenient for you to have your three horses together (if I've understood this correctly). Just explain what you have posted here and give as much notice as possible to give them maximum time to find someone else. (You'll obviously have to pay up though even if you leave early.). Make sure everyone knows how much you have appreciated their help and friendliness etc (maybe leave some chocs and a thank you card or equivalent in feed/tack room to say thank you)?

Btw, it's nice to hear about friendly livery yards for once!

Blackfellpony Mon 17-Apr-17 13:11:29

I share horses with my sister. She currently has two useless ones out at grass (one dangerous, one old!)

I help her out with them. This youngster will be number 3. My sister bought her but I seem to have taken her on as I've really gelled with her.

It would be easier to have 3 on the same yard.

I hate things like this. I have no real idea what to say to owner one...I've only been there a week! blush

Garnethair Mon 17-Apr-17 13:35:08

Move the new pony to be with the others. It makes much more sense. Pay up your notice and give the yard owner a bottle of wine for being so understanding.

Floralnomad Mon 17-Apr-17 13:38:16

Normally a months notice wherever I've been ,but if you've not signed anything to that effect a week will suffice

honeyroar Tue 18-Apr-17 22:02:43

Just say exactly what you've said here, that you love the yard and have really appreciated the help they've given you, but.. Even without a contract it would be polite to pay at least a month's money and give the yard owner flowers etc.

Whatever you do, no midnight flits!

Orlandointhewilderness Tue 18-Apr-17 22:11:02

Be honest, and don't worry - pony will settle!

ProseccoBitch Wed 19-Apr-17 12:43:31

Just be honest with the yard owner and say exactly what you said in your opening post. Anyone horsey will understand that it'll be far easier for you to have them all in the same place. I don't think you should have to give much notice if you've only been there a short while and haven't signed anything agreeing to a specific notice period, but it'd be a nice gesture to pay for an extra week if you leave straight away.

ProseccoBitch Wed 19-Apr-17 12:44:35

and a bottle of wine as @Garnethair says!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now