Talk

Advanced search

Ringworm

(6 Posts)
morethanyoubargainfor Mon 17-Apr-17 11:37:54

Anybody have any experience of Ringworm? Need some advice please.

Booboostwo Mon 17-Apr-17 16:05:12

What do you need?

Best to get the vet to diagnose, then disinfect everything, brushes, stable, tack, etc. basically anything that has come into contact with the horse. Keep in mind you can catch it as well. The vet should be able to recommend the bets products for all this.

Pixel Mon 17-Apr-17 18:05:50

Yes do be careful, I caught it once from a calf that came from market and was put in the stable next to my pony (only one patch on my leg thankfully). Keep an eye out for something that looks like an insect bite as it doesn't get the 'ring' shape straight away. It is treated with anti-fungal cream like Canesten. Don't know what they use as a horsey equivalent though as the pony was absolutely fine hmm.

Biggles398 Fri 21-Apr-17 22:45:05

Yes.
My horse had it when I bought her. I caught it off her (I groomed her, then scratched a gnat bite). Both cleared up pretty easily. None of my other horses / horses at the yard caught it but I have known a yard where every horse caught it

Catscatsandmorecats Sat 22-Apr-17 07:00:37

My pony got it from a calf too, then i ended up with it too. It was only a little bit and i treated it with normal athletes foot cream on both me and dpony, it cleared up easily. Nothing else (barring cows) got it - the hazards of having a pony who is friendly to farm stock!

RatherBeRiding Wed 26-Apr-17 17:01:01

If you've got it you can get something from pharmacist to clear it up easily.

If pony's got it, disinfect everything and don't use anything on another horse. Keep pony isolated until it's cleared up - it's pretty catching. Vet will give you something to clear it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now