Talk

Advanced search

Horses when DCs are travelling or st uni?

(6 Posts)
notquiteruralbliss Sun 09-Apr-17 17:06:00

Wondering what people do with DCs horses when they go travelling or to uni? DD1 has been away travelling for over a year and could easily be away another year. When she first went away, we put her horse with a professional who has been training and competing her. She's doing well (is happily competing at a higher level than she was with DD1) and seems happy but I'm not sure it is a long term solution. What do other people do When their DCs move away?

Fireinthegrate Mon 10-Apr-17 15:15:32

We have had various owned horses and loaned horses. It ended up that when my daughter went to uni the horse we had was on loan to us and so he went back to his owner as I didn't want to keep him just for myself.
However, now she's finishing uni and so e are looking for another loan horse to share.
So my answer to you is to maybe put your horse on full loan to someone who will enjoy competing him while your daughter is away. It will save you the £'s you are paying the professional!

honeyroar Tue 11-Apr-17 22:49:59

It was never even a consideration that my horses would not be sold when I went to uni and travelled. As it happened, one ended up coming back and went on loan on and off to a few homes (was a pony). It was always a bit of a hassle tbh, as I lived hundreds of miles away and struggled when he needed a new loan home finding or even when he needed putting down.

I didn't have my own horse for another 12 years until I was settled and able to fund it myself (then I got 4!!). I enjoyed those 12 yrs of travelling and enjoying my life just as much as my horsey years.

MiladyThesaurus Tue 11-Apr-17 22:51:09

Exeter university has stables for students who take their horses with them apparently.

Millie2013 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:12:18

I lost the horse I used to compete, 6 months before I started uni. That just left my childhood pony, who stayed at home with my dad and I used to visit every weekend, then I lived at home for years 2/3, as it was just about commutable

I then went on to do a Masters in another part of the country and moved the pony to a livery yard back home, as I couldn't get home very often. Then I went onto do a PhD and figured if i was paying for livery, I might as well pay for livery near to me, so moved her down here
(I then settled down here, moved further out of the city and kept her near my home and let her have a lovely, long retirement until she went to sleep (literally, she went and didn't wake up)), aged 32

Floralnomad Sat 15-Apr-17 21:25:51

We kept all of ours and when things got really difficult they went on full livery but we have a family policy that a horse / pony is for life , currently only have one pony that was bought for ds 18 yrs ago .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now