Talk

Advanced search

Abandoned Shetland in my field...

(28 Posts)
Plumviolet Sun 09-Apr-17 09:58:33

Woke up this morning to find a little Shetland pony in our field. We think that it has been abandoned. It's very friendly and sweet and while wary of us coming up to him with a head collar seems to love the kids and let's them groom and cuddle him.

I reckon he's about 20 years old. His feet look good, he's castrated but his coat is terrible, bald patches with crusty bits.

We have about 20 acres with some goats and chickens etc. I am pregnant due in a few weeks and have three kids under 7. I adore horses and fully intend to have a few when things are a bit less hectic and I have some spare time.

However the kids love him, am I totally crazy to consider keeping him?

Gabilan Sun 09-Apr-17 15:18:17

Aw. Keep him. He likes you. Contact some rescue charities for advice about care and any issues he might have. I suspect you also ought to contact the police as he must belong to someone.

Perhaps get a booked appointment with a vet to give him a check over and see if there's a microchip. So long as he's happy with the goats as companions he should be relatively low maintenance. Shetlands are ace, in a slightly annoying "what's the hairy little bastard doing now" way.

Plumviolet Sun 09-Apr-17 15:27:03

I know, I suspect we will probably keep him. Is he going to be a total money pit though? I think he's got lice...

Pixel Sun 09-Apr-17 18:47:27

Ah we just lost our darling shetland two weeks ago at the age of 32. I wouldn't say she was a money pit at all as she was never ill or lame in her life apart from some laminitis before we took her on (never had it since). She never needed shoes or anything and if we hadn't had to pay field rent she would have cost peanuts to keep.

Go on keep him, he'll be fun make sure you buy lots of electric fencing.

Holland00 Sun 09-Apr-17 18:52:27

There not called shitlands for no reasongrin

Keep him, he'll be fab companion/lawnmower/PITA..

ArseyTussle Sun 09-Apr-17 18:54:10

For me to make a judgement on this I'll need to see a photo.

<drums fingers on table>

P1nkP0ppy Sun 09-Apr-17 18:57:24

Sounds like might have sweet itch too op 😕
The main thing to bear in mind is that its grazing must be restricted to prevent laminitis they're greedy little buggers

TheWitTank Sun 09-Apr-17 18:59:10

I couldn't part with him. Personally I would get the vet out to do a once over. Get a worm count done (you can send a sample off yourself easily) and get him correctly wormed. If he has got lice, you can treat with powder or spray, its not too hard to sort. Be careful of sticking him straight onto acres of spring grass, you don't want laminitis. I wouldn't say a money pit necessarily, Shetlands are generally hardy and robust and cheeky little shits. Good luck! Please post some pics!

Gabilan Sun 09-Apr-17 19:06:15

Well I'd maybe be a little wary that the previous owners hadn't sorted the skin problem - but perhaps they were broke and didn't try. IME shetlands are the least money-pittish equines.

Also, if you keep him, then you can take him for walks with the goats and before you know it you'll be mentioned in a thread about strange sightings.

Floralnomad Sun 09-Apr-17 19:09:30

Our Shetland was a complete money pit , he caught everything known to equines over the years but was an absolute character , good luck with your new pony OP .

Plumviolet Sun 09-Apr-17 19:56:01

Not sure if this will work but here's a photo

Plumviolet Sun 09-Apr-17 19:58:09

Think I'll get a vet to check him over next week. Just need to figure out how to catch the little bugger.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 09-Apr-17 20:01:16

Rattling a bucket with a few carrots works wonders usually- they're ruled by their bellies!

LondonSouth28 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:02:29

Keep! He is so cute. Poor little man being dumped, horrible for him x

TupperwareTat Sun 09-Apr-17 20:05:39

He was meant to be, your litte Easter present. smile

Now we need to name him.

Lovelongweekends Sun 09-Apr-17 20:11:18

Just to be a bit of a spoilsport but are you sure he's been abandoned and hasn't escaped from somewhere and someone has found him on the road and popped him in you field as it was the nearest safe place?

Reow Sun 09-Apr-17 20:12:46

Aw bless him. I don't know how much effort they are to keep, but if you have the space it would be lovely to give him a nice retirement!

Spudlet Sun 09-Apr-17 20:14:55

Ring BHS or WHW for advice. Bottom line (from foggy memory!) is, if no one claims him after 4 working days he's yours to do with as you will. But you have to check for microchips etc, and notify the local police station in case someone is looking for him. But BHS or WHW will be able to give you much more precise advice!

AGnu Sun 09-Apr-17 20:16:26

Yes, he needs a name. What with it being Palm Sunday today, I'd call him Donkey.

Quodlibet Sun 09-Apr-17 20:18:00

He might have been offloaded by travellers. I have a friend who acquired a Shetland in this way.

McGintyii Sun 09-Apr-17 20:25:26

Aw he's lovely, you will probably need to restrict his grazing though - that looks a bit too lush for a Shetland, they are really prone to laminitis and live on thin air smile Shetlands are fab, I can't wait to get one for my DD (she's only 6 months old so not quite ready yet! grin)

Gabilan Sun 09-Apr-17 20:33:13

Since he arrived at Easter, you could call him Cadbury grin

He does look lovely but catching him off that grass might be fun. A Shetland ruled by its stomach might want to just stay out there.

Not that I advocate putting other people's children at risk but would they have more luck getting hold of him? Some Shetlands that are bastards with adults are good as gold with kids.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 09-Apr-17 20:39:31

My Shetland lives on nothing, feet trimmed every 8 weeks, dentist, vaccinations and the odd wormer (I worm count), she isn't greedy either shock, quite discerning.

You do need to catch it pronto - it will have laminitis within a few days on that grass.

Nice of you to consider giving it a home OP.

Jonsnowsghost Sun 09-Apr-17 20:52:14

Keep him!

Agree about the grass, be careful of laminitis and also if his coat looks like it's having trouble coming out he could have a metabolic issue or cushings in which case definitely watch the grass! My EMS pony really struggles to lose his coat and you can pull it out in handfuls, his coat looks terrible this time of year!

MollyHuaCha Sun 09-Apr-17 20:54:18

He looks like he's making himself at home. I wonder where he came from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now