Talk

Advanced search

Overreach wound

(9 Posts)
zombiemum123 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:47:21

Hi just looking for a bit of advice, spring must be in the air as the mares were going nuts today in the field when I went to catch mine-unsuccessfully (never ran off in 5 years confusedshock) anyway when she came in she had overreached her front leg ( the bulb) it's been cleaned with hibiscrub, dryed and bandaged with a dry politics under .. any other tips?? The fields are quite boggy at the moment so I'm thinking in till healed? All thoughts welcomegrin

JamDonutsRule Wed 01-Mar-17 22:49:16

OR boots in field for a while until they calm down?

zombiemum123 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:53:41

Yeah jam that's a definite, just wondering more about treatment of the wound

MotherOfWren Wed 01-Mar-17 23:11:05

Agree with PP boots a must my boy was a nightmare for overreaching. Hibi scrub is a good start maybe some purple spray.

For a natural remedy I find a bit of turmeric mixed into a paste with olive oil works for EVERYTHING! 😊

PoniesandProsecco Wed 01-Mar-17 23:19:39

Stick her out with a clean dressing on, Sudo crem, gamgee and veterap, then an overreach boot on top! Will probably come in gross but id let it air overnight with some more sudocrem on ( can you tell I swear by the stuff for every animal and myself)

zombiemum123 Wed 01-Mar-17 23:24:25

Ah I'm glad some one has suggested out as she's a nutter anyway and doesn't need more energy from been in.. great ideas I'll give them a go

zombiemum123 Wed 01-Mar-17 23:25:09

Sudocream is the BEST!

frostyfingers Thu 02-Mar-17 08:01:59

My horse was trodden on last week so similar wound - he was in for 48 hours with it dressed and bandaged and then out during the day. I brought him in at night and changed the dressing and on day 6 the vet came and sliced off the flap as it wasn't sticking (yuk).

Treatment now is he's been in for another 48 hours and dermosil cream with no dressing twice daily. Having hand grazed him for a couple of hours yesterday the plan is to put the cream on this morning, let him out at lunchtime and then clean it up and bring him in this evening and repeat for a week.

I would caution against having it covered up for too long as the whole area gets so soggy, and to keep a close eye on any heat/swelling as signs of infection (but I expect you know all that!)

Horse isn't the slightest bit lame and is going nuts but unfortunately I can't see a different way of doing it - our fields aren't too bad but I still don't want it covered in mud and sodden all the time.

zombiemum123 Thu 02-Mar-17 08:57:55

Thank you frosty that's a great help, at are farm they are on alternate days out so she's in today anyway I'll go up in the morning and see what it's like.. I'm just debating as she is a filthy cow even if I put all fresh bedding in it will be vile within a few hours, so that or mud hmm bloody horses!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now