loader

Talk

Advanced search

sarcoids

(18 Posts)
qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 19:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Garnethair Sat 25-Feb-17 20:13:58

Hmm. Depends on how much you are paying and what you want the horse for. I've known sarcoids to be no problem, and others to develop into a bloody nuisance.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 20:32:39

Frouby Sat 25-Feb-17 20:35:05

Will it pass a vetting? If so they will probably be excluded.

Also consider where you will keep it. There are some that (I think) are spread by fly bites from horse to horse. Or suspicion that they are. Some livery yards might not take horses with sarcoids.

weaselwords Sat 25-Feb-17 20:40:15

No. They can be really hard to get rid of and recur. Certainly not for 5K.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 20:42:23

fatbottomgirl67 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:46:49

We did and I know others who have. I guess it depends where they are ? Are they going to cause problems with tack or chaffing? Our mares worst one has shrunk considerably but has has had another appear. Have you had a vetting? Be worth discussing it with your vet to find out potential future costs . Personally 3 years on and no problems ( other than flys really liking sarcoids ) don't be too put off but might be worth trying to negotiate on the price a little

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 20:52:17

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 20:54:53

Garnethair Sat 25-Feb-17 21:04:31

Walk away. Shame, but not worth the risk for that money

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 21:06:05

Garnethair Sat 25-Feb-17 21:07:10

What are you after?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 21:10:49

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 25-Feb-17 21:11:21

weaselwords Sun 26-Feb-17 09:40:13

A very popular type of horse and often if sound have more competition experience so are more expensive. Also, it's nearly spring and we all look for horses in the spring. You could go back and offer 2K for it if you really like it, or keep looking, or get a youngster to bring on? Good luck!

Puppymouse Mon 27-Feb-17 16:40:43

Mine had two when I got him. Paid £2700 for him down from £3500. Both have fallen off now. But being grey I knew he'd be prone to them and I had two vettings done on two with sarcoids with different vets and neither were concerned or failed them because of it. I think it depends on previous experience with them, where they are and personal judgment.

mrslaughan Mon 27-Feb-17 21:08:28

I would get a trusted vet to look at them. I had a horse vetted that failed on sarcoids- but the vet said to me that he wouldn't necessarily say to someone like me not to buy a horse based in that - it would depend where they are , and what they looked like (there are apparently different types of sarcoids).
I would try and negotiate down the price if i discussed it with the vet and it wasn't a flat out no.
Having bought a number of horses and ponies now , there are now guarantees......
Having said that it all depends on your attitude to risk.

rememberpurpleronnie Tue 28-Feb-17 23:44:12

Horse vet here- I would never 'pass' a horse with sarcoids at a vetting, they are always a risk and you won't be able to get them insured. That being said some types and locations are better than others. If they haven't changed for a year or two they might not. I would expect the price to be substantially discounted relative to what you would pay without them. And I would only pay what I could afford to lose for the horse. Major grey area but not a complete red flag for me (I'd be much more worried about asymmetrical feet!!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now