Talk

Advanced search

Working as a groom

(11 Posts)
Beansprout30 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:15:38

Currently on maternity leave but considering the way I'm being treated trying to sort out my return to my office job, I'm thinking of throwing the towel in and working as a groom.. anyone gone from office work to groom? Stupid move?

Garnethair Sun 12-Feb-17 17:18:59

Have you done this kind of work before? Do you mean as a groom on a single yard for someone? Or mobile to do services?

Beansprout30 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:53:49

I haven't done it as a job but have helped out on friends yards and riding is ny hobbie. Just it sure whether turning a hobbieinto work is a good idea

Beansprout30 Sun 12-Feb-17 17:54:13

It would be on a single yard

Bubblysqueak Sun 12-Feb-17 17:56:06

Not sure what area you are in but in the last 2 weeks 4 different apprentice grooms have been advertised where I live.

PossumInAPearTree Sun 12-Feb-17 18:01:25

I used to work as a full time groom on a single yard. Six days a week and often ten hours day. Couldn't finish until everything was done. Had to be sorting out the overnight stabled horses at 8am and might turn the last lot into the field after 5pm, sometimes 6pm. Was physically exhausted but guess I got used to it.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 12-Feb-17 20:17:59

Pay and conditions are often awful.

Polista Tue 14-Feb-17 11:25:36

Lots of work for polo grooms around this summer due to Home Office restricting numbers of foreign workers and you could get 600 per week BUT hours not a good fit with school day nor school hols I'm afraid...same as most work with horses, I have found- great pre-kids, tricky with the DCS....that said, could work if you have supportive DP....

Merlin40 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:30:55

Keep it as a hobby. Money and conditions are generally poor unless you get lucky. Not a kid friendly job either.

Gabilan Wed 15-Feb-17 21:08:31

With things like polo grooming I would think you'd need a fair bit of experience. Grooming for competitors is pressurised. I agree with PP - long hours, not child friendly, no particular career progression.

But if you can freelance and ride exercise you might pick up work that's more child friendly, although if you wanted a living wage the hours would be tough.

Beansprout30 Thu 16-Feb-17 22:00:02

Thanks all, think I'll stick with the office job and keep horses as my hobby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now