Talk

Advanced search

Young Horse

(5 Posts)
Dreamthedream Wed 08-Feb-17 21:03:52

Hopefully I can get some help, I have nc.
I share a young horse with my friend it's our first horse we have had for about 2 years now so we are just learning same as the horse but last week the horse bombed of and was heading home, didn't listen to me for a while and almost got the both of us run over ( I was riding, luckily no one was injured ) first time it's happened normally horse is very good.

Now the horse isn't respectful on the ground or while riding and friend has lost confidence in doing stuff. Has even said about not sharing with me anymore which would be a shame.

Any advice on how we can gain the horse's respect?? Thank you smile

Pasithea Wed 08-Feb-17 21:09:03

How old is the horse and what breed.
Has its back teeth and saddle been checked recently
If no problems there then you need help from a knowlegable person or qualified instructor

Sorry to hear of your problems. But there usually is a reason behind this kind of behaviour.

Rollingdinosaur Fri 10-Feb-17 21:07:47

As above, you need to get teeth and back checked, and have some lessons with a good instructor.

Gabilan Sat 11-Feb-17 09:15:15

Agree with the above - physio to check the horse out - pick a good one who will tell you if actually you need a vet. Get an equine dental technician out to check the horse's teeth. Have someone experienced check the tack - both saddle and bridle. Watch saddle fitters, often they're just glorified salespeople, however well qualified they seem. A good physio should be able to tell you if the tack is causing problems by checking the horse over.

If I could afford it, I'd then send the horse away to a professional for a couple of weeks, then work with that professional. A horse's early education is key. It's important that they know what is required of them and actually makes them much happier if there are clear rules and consistent behaviour from you. If you don't have the money for that (and it isn't cheap) then yes, a good freelance instructor.

Butkin1 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:27:15

Can you give us more information. Firstly same questions as above. Also how is your horse when you ride it in an arena? What sort of bit/noseband are you using? How much feed are you giving it in relation to exercise? Has anybody more experienced ridden him and if so how does he go? What do you mean by disrespectful on the ground?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now