Advanced search

BHS Gold Membership

(8 Posts)
Lunawolf Sat 19-Nov-16 00:07:36

DD is about to get her first part loan and the owner has specified we must have BHS insurance.

This is all new to me so would appreciate some advice on what would be the best insurance to go for. I've seen on other forums that BHS Gold Membership is a good way of insuring, and it's not too pricey as DD is under 21. Would this be enough though?

Thanks in advance!

Booboostwo Sat 19-Nov-16 07:53:45

BHS is an insurance provider, the owner cannot specify the insurance provider but can specify the type of insurance you get. BHS Gold offers public liability and personal accident cover insurance - I have never dealt with them myself but they are considered good value for money.

Are you happy with the terms and conditions? If not look for another provider.

Have you discussed other types of insurance e.g. vet fees cover, loss of use? It's important to have these discussion before the loan commences and ideally have something in writing. Also have in writing the notice period for terminating the part loan especially if you are paying towards it.

Lunawolf Sat 19-Nov-16 20:35:36

That's really useful, thanks Boo!

I'm meeting with the owner tomorrow so I've made of list of the points you've raised so I can go over everything.

Is there a 'usual' insurance requirement for loaning?

DD is a member of Pony Club, which comes with insurance, although I doubt this would be enough.

5OBalesofHay Sat 19-Nov-16 21:53:05

Pony Club should be fine. The owner of a part loan should cover vet etc for pony if they insure.

You will need as a minimum third party cover so if the pony injures someone or damages something valuable you have cover as owner won't be covered on theirs when you are responsible. Pony Club provides this.

What you won't have is big cover if your Dr is injured seriously. That will potentially be pricey given the risks and it's for you to decide whether you need that level of cover (I would only do it for regular hunting or affiliated eventing)

Booboostwo Sun 20-Nov-16 07:08:19

Yes PC insurance should be fine.

Have you seen this (including link to sample loan agreement)

I think it's very useful as it prompts you to clarify all sorts of questions with the owner.

LadyLance Mon 21-Nov-16 12:18:42

I'm guessing the owner wants BHS cover because of the public liability insurance they provide. This is because while your daughter is riding/handling the horse, it's very likely she could be found liable if the horse causes any damage/an accident. It's very likely that your pony club insurance will be sufficient if you explain this to the loaner of the horse.

Booboostwo Mon 21-Nov-16 19:56:52

Pony Club provides liability insurance and the link suggests the OP's DC would be covered on a loan pony.

Lunawolf Fri 25-Nov-16 22:36:49

Thanks for the replies!

Ended up taking out "family" BHS Gold Membership for DD and I, that way I can ride when she can't. Owner was happy as completely covered, plus won't be letting her down if DD can't do a day etc.

We are really enjoying the loan already! Wish I'd done it sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now