Talk

Advanced search

Top Spec alternative please ...

(7 Posts)
Malibubu Sat 12-Nov-16 19:40:37

My horse has been on Top Spec Cool balancer and molasses free Alfa A. Now that she is turning 7 and has become a bit more sensible I would like to change her to a normal balancer however I think Top Spec is a tad pricey compared to other brands on the market. I'm happy to pay a little extra for a better product but I don't really want to pay extra for the sake of a brand name...

Thanks

Rosieposy4 Sun 13-Nov-16 18:10:39

Is the balancer for vits and mins, or?
My eventing TB gets alfa A oil, micronised linseed, feedmark benefit and soaked grass nuts.
Sons jumping cob gets hifi molasses free rather than the alfa oil, but gets the rest.
Both look greatand perform well, mostly sensibly though my mare has her moments! Much cheaper than a balancer, provides excellent spread of requirements in terms of vits/mins/etc.

Silverleaved Sun 13-Nov-16 18:14:58

Thunderbrooks basemix

Butkin1 Mon 14-Nov-16 11:59:21

What type of horse/pony is she and what do you do with her?

We feed Top Spec and Equerry Mash to our competition ponies and Allen and Page Calm and Condition (a mash) with Top Spec chaff to the ones in light work.

Do you get your feeds from a local tack shop? if so see what brands they sell and then compare the products with the Top Spec you're happy with. Chances are there will be suitable, cheaper, alternatives.

Malibubu Wed 16-Nov-16 19:18:42

Thanks all will look in to Thunderbrooks. Not a brand I have heard of.

The idea of feeding topspec was the high proteine content not just the mins and vits..

Thanks again for the advice ...

Pixel Fri 18-Nov-16 22:45:11

Ours have always done very well on Equilibra 500. As you can see it is quite high in protein so it might suit your needs. We've been using it for about 20 years. Sometimes we decide to have a bit of a change but we always end up going back to it after a while.

DuRezidal Mon 26-Dec-16 21:52:27

Try Gain Feeds, they do Opticare Balancer that is making my advanced dressage borsss absolutely gleam! And it's half the price of the other balancers at RRP £17!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now