Talk

Advanced search

freelance groom hourly rate???

(10 Posts)
s098 Fri 07-Oct-16 21:55:30

I am starting a job tomorrow for a family helping out with their 2 horses and starting to bring them back into work. We've agreed times/ hours are flexible which is good for me as i have a 8.5 month old daughter but generally its going to be around 3/4 hours on a saturday.
I will take me about 20 minutes to get there.
They have said for me to tell them what i want paying per hour when i go. My mum thinks £10 and hour but i was thinking £8.
I have over 10 years experience working with horses and will get sort some insurance before i start riding them.
What do people think is fair pay wise as i don't want to sound greedy??

devilinmyshoes Fri 07-Oct-16 21:58:06

20 minutes walking or driving? You can't charge less than £10 an hour really, if you're driving there and back maybe £12.50?

devilinmyshoes Fri 07-Oct-16 22:03:39

Isn't minimum wage £9 an hour? You might want to take out some insurance (British grooms assoc offer some discounted policies I think) and £8 an hour isn't going to go far!

DoneRacing Fri 07-Oct-16 22:06:13

Where are you? For us, at least £15 per hour.

s098 Fri 07-Oct-16 23:02:28

Min wage is 7.20 an hour. Any full time jobs I've had in the past have been min wage which is probably why i feel bad asking for more.
I will be driving there and definitely getting some insurance sorted

bandito Sat 08-Oct-16 15:12:08

The person that rides my horse charges £20 for about 30-45mins schooling and she's not at all expensive (south coast of the UK). She'd charge the same per hour for groom's work too, with a deal to be done for coming with me to a show or whatever. Don't sell yourself short.

honeyroar Sat 08-Oct-16 17:23:24

Ive always paid £10-12 for freelance grooms, who have all been insured. For schooling I'd pay more, but that would be for someone qualified. For someone to generally hack and keep my horse fit I paid £12/hr (five years ago). I'm North West, but my friend in the midlands is freelance and charges similar rates.

At least £10. But this should really have been discussed before you start.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 14-Oct-16 12:57:28

The freelance I use charges £15ph for the first hour then £10 after that

MaryTheCanary Fri 14-Oct-16 12:59:40

LOL, I just clicked on this thread from "Trending" thinking it was a really, really weird wedding-related discussion....

OdinsLoveChild Tue 01-Nov-16 22:16:36

I used to charge £12ph and that was 12 years ago. I would have thought a good experienced groom could ask around £15ph. I would consider less if they agreed to pay for insurance on my behalf. It may only cost them an additional £20 or so to add you onto their policy whereas it may cost you hundreds on your own policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now