Talk

Advanced search

Can I ride a 12.2hh pony?

(8 Posts)
Blackfellpony Sun 02-Oct-16 20:00:20

I normally ride the dizzying heights of my 14.2hh but this is way smaller than anything I've considered before.

Friend is desperate for someone to excersise her very naughty section B mare. She's way too much for a child and has been returned too many times from loan as she's really sharp, forward and she knows when the rider isn't experienced. She's 12.2hh and I would say middleweight, not massively chunky.

Anyway, I'm 5ft1 and roughly 49kg (roughly 8 stone I think?). They have asked me as the resident pony jockey of the yard.

Would I squish her? Is it fair for me to exercise her or am I too big?

Spookle Sun 02-Oct-16 20:13:35

You will be fine. I'm 5ft1 and weighed between 8.5 and 10st over the 12 years I had my 13hh Welsh B mare. She was quite fine but a right little powerhouse.

nagsandovalballs Sun 02-Oct-16 20:13:38

I was going to say no, but seeing your stats, why not?

The pony is only going to get shoved from pillar to post without some re schooling by an experienced adult, so better you try to get her sorted. 20-30mins of correct schooling and getting her working across her back isn't going to be like you're hunting the pony for 5 hours!

Blackfellpony Sun 02-Oct-16 20:27:45

I think she's mainly worried as the pony is getting very fat- it hates being lunged and despite being muzzled constantly and stabled she's ballooned.

It wouldn't really be safe to put a child on her unless said child was made of Velcro!

I would proberbly be hacking her out for 30mins a few times a week to keep her ticking over, walk trot and a little bit of canter once she's fit?

Garthmarenghi Sun 02-Oct-16 21:30:23

Sounds a perfect match. Have fun! It's great the owners have an adult to hack her.

BuzzLightyearsHoneyBun Sun 02-Oct-16 21:33:14

Yep, you will be fine.
I weigh 9.5 stone and get on our 12.2 Welsh b if she needs settling. I never ride her for long (5-10 minutes) and only in walk and trot but she never shows any sign of struggling.

ProseccoBitch Mon 03-Oct-16 13:30:35

I'd say you'll be fine at your size.

Gabilan Mon 03-Oct-16 17:47:06

You'll be fine. At 9 stone and 5'7" I've ridden mid weight 12 handers. Since I'm heavier than you I don't canter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now