MARE !!

(13 Posts)
zombiemum123 Sat 20-Aug-16 20:36:22

Since having my limo nearly 4 months ago my mare has been horrible! I was back in the saddle within a week and a half of having him.. And rode up until 28 weeks pregnant after this my instructor rode her once a week and she was lunged 2x a week... She has always been highly strung - typical showjumper.. Since iv been back in the saddle she is unbearable... Spooking at everything and she seems to blow her mind and there's no going back.. Rearing not bucking spinning etc! She was on magnesium but I took her off it while pregnant and she seemed fine at 1st but seems to be getting progressively worse.. Yesterday I bought her magnesium oxide, Agnes cactus and Brewers yeast.. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations or have had this experience? I am desperate to get out competing again with out killing my self! sad

YorkieDorkie Sat 20-Aug-16 20:49:10

Bloody mares hmm I'm watching with interest. What's the instructor actually been doing with her?

weaselwords Sat 20-Aug-16 20:54:21

Is she fit, but not fully fit for competition? I find horses settle once they get properly fit but are really silly when half fit. Like they've got too much energy and don't know what to do with it.

zombiemum123 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:01:39

She's not as fit as I had her post pregnancy but pretty fit !! If like to get her fitter but I feel as though when I'm riding her all I'm doing is reassuring her to go near the scary rock etc so there's not much time for anything else! Instructor was schooling and jumping! I love her but I'm never getting another mare again! (Said lay last time too) wink I refuse to be beaten!!

weaselwords Sat 20-Aug-16 21:07:29

That might be it then. Fit but not fully fit and concentrating on her job so enough energy to be an arse and a pain to ride. See if she settles as you get her fully fit.

I love mares for this very reason. I find geldings far too blunt and predictable. A good mare, like a good stallion, will have far too much of an opinion some days and really try your patience, but when you need them to think and get you out of trouble, they are there for you. Plus you don't have to wash out the bean envy

zombiemum123 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:12:57

I think your right. She is an amazing talented horse and my dream horse but she is so frustrating as I know how well she can go! I'm taking her for a day of xc next Monday so hopefully it's not suicide and she enjoys her self.. Thank you xx

zombiemum123 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:14:05

Eww the bean! I never did it with my old horse made my poor mum do it ha!

YorkieDorkie Sun 21-Aug-16 06:34:05

Oh god the bean sad. Last horses I've had have been mares. It's definitely worth it just for that!

Gabilan Tue 23-Aug-16 21:12:02

when you need them to think and get you out of trouble, they are there for you

I find that with my gelding though. He's not daft, not by a long way. He looks after himself and me.

A couple of vets have told me not to clean sheaths unless you really need to. I don't bother with my current horses, apart from picking bits off his willy from time to time. and he's quite obliging about that, bless him

zombiemum123 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:22:54

Just a bit of an update I rode last night and tonight and she didn't put a good wrong!!! I have my old horse back! If you knew how bad she has been this is a massive deal so the supplements must be working! Over the moon! However I do expect silliness from time to time but that's just her nature winkgringrin

zombiemum123 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:23:22

*hood

zombiemum123 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:23:43

OMG **hoof haha

weaselwords Wed 24-Aug-16 17:38:34

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now