Talk

Advanced search

Lumps on horse, any ideas please?

(9 Posts)
Ticktacktock Sun 07-Aug-16 20:27:33

Dd came home and said her pony has two lumps on the underside of his belly. They're golf ball sized, fixed and symmetrical she says, and behind where his girth sits. She's never noticed them before.

I'm going with her tomorrow to investigate, but would like to ask you wise people if you've any ideas before I panic and call the vet!

Thanks in advance!

Booboostwo Sun 07-Aug-16 20:52:36

Reaction to insect bites?
Heamatomas if he had a traumatic injury?

Ticktacktock Sun 07-Aug-16 22:24:37

Thanks boo, both possible, but definitely not trauma, at least not from another horse, as he is in his own paddock.

As there is two lumps, and they are both directly behind both front legs, but after where the girth sits, I can't imagine two haematomas, or two insect bites would be so accurately sited.

elastamum Sun 07-Aug-16 22:32:39

Horseflies leave great big lumps. This time of year I would expect it to be a reaction to some sort of insect

Ticktacktock Sun 07-Aug-16 22:59:08

Thank you, I'm freaking out about it but hoping it's just something like horseflies!

Floralnomad Sun 07-Aug-16 23:08:24

Could be girth galls ,although they sound a bit big .

frostyfingers Mon 08-Aug-16 10:11:39

My horse got stung by a wasp on his tummy, I think he lay down and squashed it and it got him twice in quick succession. Two large round lumps, maybe not golf ball size but pretty big which were practically identical.

Could be that, or horseflies - I'd just keep an eye on them for a day or two and check that there's no poison, increase in size etc.

Ticktacktock Wed 10-Aug-16 20:24:17

Thanks all. Showed the yard owner, who took one look, and said, horse flies!

They've gone down quite a bit now. Little blighters!

Shizzlestix Wed 10-Aug-16 22:26:23

Maybe invest in the light coloured fly rugs that cover the belly. Horse flies prefer dark colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now