Talk

Advanced search

any idea what this is?

(11 Posts)
pamplemousse Sun 31-Jul-16 17:44:34

My mare is itchy and I have been putting it down the large numbers of massive horse flies, the woods adjoining the fields, the stream and the muck heap all being nearby. But now she is rubbing bits of hair off, but also has patches of small bald bits, some are a bit scabby like she's rubbed it but others are in odd places like along her flank. Do they get lice in summer??! Both the ponies in the field have had lice this previous winter which was treated. The other pony is fine.

Booboostwo Mon 01-Aug-16 22:02:02

My best bet is that this is a vet visit!

Sorry not what you wanted to hear, I am sure! It could be the start of sweet itch, if they are lumpy they could be granulomas, etc best get a proper diagnosis.

pamplemousse Tue 02-Aug-16 00:02:23

Thanks booboo for your reply smile

PeaceOfWildThings Tue 02-Aug-16 00:06:16

I was going to say it looks like the sweet itch I've seen in the past. Yes, well worth a vet visit.

villainousbroodmare Tue 02-Aug-16 00:28:50

Those are insect bites. The scabby ones are superficially infected. I'd put some topical fly repellent on your horse. It's not sweet itch; that's confined to the crest and tail head.

pamplemousse Tue 02-Aug-16 14:12:43

She's 21, didn't think sweet itch was something they could spontaneously develop... I'm going to get some coopers repellant and then if it's lice, they will die and if it's flies they will be repelled. Obvs if they get infected or she looks ill I'll call the vet but not yet...

Gabilan Wed 03-Aug-16 21:05:01

My horse gets itchy skin sometimes. Dermoline do some good shampoos that help keep flies away without being too harsh, and he seems to lke them. If bites look like they might get infected I use a v dilute solution of hibiscrub. If she's otherwise ok in heself, I wouldn't be calling the vet yet.

thinkingaboutfostering Thu 04-Aug-16 07:54:24

Urmm yes sweet itch can spontaneously develop and it is certainly not restricted to mane/ crest and tail!!!

GinIsIn Thu 04-Aug-16 07:57:33

Another one who came on to say sweet itch....

Gabilan Thu 04-Aug-16 21:06:12

OP sweet-itch.org has a lot of useful information. I've known it develop in older horses and whilst it's predominantly on the tail and crest, it isn't restricted to those areas.

pamplemousse Fri 05-Aug-16 12:33:06

Many thanks, especially Gabilan, I will look at that site. She is fine in herself or of course I would have called the vet. New fly rug should arrive today too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now