loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any highland pony people here

(18 Posts)
megcymraeg Mon 13-Jun-16 23:34:32

Hi I'm new on here any of you lot got highlands

froubylou Sat 25-Jun-16 18:56:22

Me! I have this little madam. 3 yo. Had her since last August.

Wotcha got?

megcymraeg Wed 29-Jun-16 16:24:15

I've got five at the moment, ranging from 18 to 5,all ones I've bred,when I figure out how to post photos ill put some pics up,are you in the hpec

megcymraeg Wed 29-Jun-16 16:29:47

Megan, dougal, and Malimai

megcymraeg Wed 29-Jun-16 16:34:02

Lysander,and Phebe.

froubylou Wed 29-Jun-16 19:02:36

Lovely ponies! What's HPEC?

megcymraeg Thu 30-Jun-16 07:40:22

Highland pony enthusiasts club

froubylou Fri 01-Jul-16 07:02:26

Ahhh no I'm not. I think I looked at it when I first got her but couldn't see any events close enough to us. Plus when we compete we tend to have a Welshie on the trailer too so don't do specific breed shows as a rule.

I am on the HP Facebook group though that I find pretty informative!

megcymraeg Fri 01-Jul-16 08:50:41

I'm in Wales and at the moment a lone hpec member although there are quite a few other highlands around me,the hpec don't just do showing there are other events,we meet up for meals,camps,and talks,but as a national club sometimes things seem far away. Also there is a forum on the website which is good for advice and chat.I'm on the hp facebook group as well which I must admit is easier to access and full of good advice etc

froubylou Fri 01-Jul-16 09:41:45

It's probably something I would look at once we are riding her. I like the idea of the performance awards. Depends how she goes once we get going. And how I go. Haven't ridden properly for about 18 years so am hoping she is kind to me.

Am just on with dieting to get light enough to ride sisters (quite sharp!) Welsh cob so I caN balance myself up a bit. Sister is an AI so am going to have lessons too. Used to be quite competent but 2 dcs, 2 c sections and too much gin/wine will have taken their toll!

How are yours bred? I researched lines for about 4 years before I worked out what I wanted. Mine is from the Tower stud, by a Lochlands stallion.

ExConstance Fri 01-Jul-16 09:46:32

I've owned two, one bolshy boy and a lovely 13.2 mare. They have enormous character ( not always good). Our first, Hamish would wait for you to pick blackberries in his field and then charge over and mug you to get them, he knocked a wall down to get at a bucket of feed and could barge his way out of any fenced in area. He also broke into the tack room and got stuck because he was so broad. The second was far more demure and a real dream to ride and care for.

For anyone who wants a highland fix without buying "Highlands Unbridled " do lots of long rides in Scotland ( including coast to coast ) with Highland ponies - they even have twins in their herd - I had a wonderful experience with them two years ago.

megcymraeg Fri 01-Jul-16 09:59:05

My prefix is Dinefwr, so here goes,Megan is by Snowydene ,lysander is by Rashma of Warren, so is Phebe, dougal is by macdougaldene, and Malimai is by Glenmuir Buzzard. Apart from Malimai they are all out of my old broodmare Nashend Sparrow who was by Balmoral Dee. Malimai is out of Phebe. I've bred highlands for around 28 years, so there are a few more Dinefwr babies out there .

froubylou Fri 01-Jul-16 15:30:02

Sone lovely bloodlines there! I know a Balmoral pony who competes locally and he is a lovely boy. And I like the Glenmuir ponies too.

Do you have a website to nosey at? I can waste lots of time looking at hipo photos. My sister (after 20 years of breeding Welsh ponies) has been converted to the hairy side and is hankering after a foal. Trouble is there aren't that many foals around, especially filly foals.

Mrsraypurchase Fri 01-Jul-16 16:04:41

Lovely ponies. What's current thinking about the condition for this breed? I can see they are naturally chunky creatures.

froubylou Fri 01-Jul-16 18:21:30

I condition score the same way I would our Welsh ponies. So I look mainly for fat pads, big crest, being able to feel ribs, guttering down her back.

Her frame is huge for a 3 year old. She has wintered pretty hard. No rugs, just in at night to protect the land a bit, a handful of fibre nuts so she could have her balancer. She did have ad lib hay but she isn't a big hay eater. She has just started putting a bit of top on now as we are opening up the grass but up until 6 weeks ago she was a bit lean and gangly.

megcymraeg Sat 02-Jul-16 17:56:05

Highlands take a long time to mature, sometimes not till they're 7 yrs. As youngsters they often go through a gangly stage ,from the sounds of it you're doing all the right things,she looks fine,a very pretty girl

froubylou Sun 03-Jul-16 14:38:00

Yes most native ponies are slow to cook. My section a gelding looked like a bucket head until he was 4 and now at 9 has only just finished changing shape!

Ditsy4 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:44:10

Oh lovely ponies. I used to ride a gorgeous Highland years and years ago he was three going on four and like sitting in a rocking chair. I just saw a beautiful Highland win at Bath Show. I said to my daughter I would move that one up the line. I had picked first four out. Two Fells and I think the other was a Welsh Cob. The Fells were gorgeous but the Highland moved really well and was placed first. Unusual colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now