Talk

Advanced search

Insurance to be trying out horses before buying?

(5 Posts)
bandito Sun 01-May-16 19:55:35

I am still looking for our first horse and am trying one tomorrow at an instructor's yard. For the first time I'll be taking DS (13) with me as it will be his horse too and he should probably be riding it before we make any decisions. It got me to thinking, should I take out some kind of insurance because I am not sure where I stand if I get bronc'ed around an arena and end up breaking my stupid neck, or worse, if DS gets on and ends up getting injured, or even if the horse or the owner's property is damaged whilst we are trying out the horse. He's a pony club member and I know there's some kind of insurance with that, but I can't remember what so will need to dig out the paperwork. Have any more experienced buyers got any suggestions or am I just way overthinking as usual? Thanks all.

CatchIt Tue 03-May-16 01:04:47

If you're worried I'd check out joining the BHS, I know that some sort of insurance comes with that but you'd have to have a look as I don't have the details to hand. It could be the Gold membership?

bandito Thu 05-May-16 20:58:48

Thanks CatchIt - I went anyway and stayed on (just) as was carted round the arena. However, we went to see another the next day who was super and we've put down a deposit. So just got to get through a vetting then we'll have our horse. Fingers crossed.

CatchIt Mon 09-May-16 22:18:32

Eek! How exciting!

I've just had a filly vetted after my poor boy having to be pts a few weeks ago. He was only 5.

This little filly just fell into my lap and was too good an opportunity to pass up.

When you know, you know x

Helen1966 Sat 04-Jun-16 21:31:16

You can buy rider insurance. I bought it for my girls when we used to borrow a pony once a week that i knew the owners did not insure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now