Part Loan for DPony

(17 Posts)
Catscatsandmorecats Tue 05-Jan-16 12:19:14

For the last two and a half years I have had two different sharers for Dpony, one after the other. This came about after a mc and illness then subsequent pregnancy when I couldn't ride and has worked well in terms of Dpony being ridden now I have a little one and am back at work full time (out of the house 11 hours a day).

Dpony is VERY low maintenance, lives out on fresh air all year round. My friend and I share duties so I do not have to go up every day but poor Dpony is being wasted in the field and come spring will need riding more and I simply can't do it.

My dilemma is that I am not sure that I want her to be part loaned again, but also can't bear the thought of putting her on full loan (I can still ride 2 times a week).

During the last two years, she developed problems loading, I have since had training with an IH lady and this has improved but I don't want anyone trying to travel her places until I am happy that they are good drivers and willing to work in that same way I do. I got a lift from the sharers she developed the problem with in the summer and realized why she has become difficult, the driving was awful! They have had problems with every pony they have had and I am not surprised. Dpony went backwards again after that and I have worked hard to put it right again. (They are lovely people and we are still in touch but the parents are well off novices - the type to throw money but not time at an issue) The second set of parents were also novices but they did work with me, the girl progressed quickly and moved on. However, both sets of sharers for various reasons expected to go away/not ride for weeks over the summer then immediately go to camp/do big competitions, then were annoyed when Dpony wasn't quite fit enough/was out of practice with the rider. Both times I struggled to keep DPony's fitness up to a reasonable level so at least she wasn't in danger of injury but it was the expectation that it was totally acceptable to do this is what irked me - I did try to explain.

Having had Dpony to myself for a couple of months, I am really enjoying not finding my saddle dirty with no cover on, finding my headcollar where it should be, etc etc. I know all of these things are small and with teenage or young riders (Pony is 13hh) to be expected to some degree - beggars can't be choosers and all that - but these combined with the experience and realisation of what has happened over the last two years it has really put me off.

I know I need to work something out and quickly, I just don't know what to do. I also don't want to upset the old sharers (who will see the ad) by wording an advert against novice parents.

Its making me really stressed.

Does anyone have any ideas?!

tilder Tue 05-Jan-16 12:32:52

Tricky one. A good share is brilliant but you are unlikely to get everything you want as everyone does things differently and has different expectations.

There will be a lot of novices interested in a 13hh pony. An advert for an experienced rider would look as though the pony can be tricky (not that novice riders are tricky iyswim).

Ask around, word of mouth, then yes a carefully worded advert.

Catscatsandmorecats Tue 05-Jan-16 12:44:29

Thanks tilder, that's the way I am leaning, I just posted in the vain hope someone else might have some other ideas!

Pony doesn't need an experienced rider, in fact, she is a good confidence giver, I'd just prefer at least slightly horsey parents.

I wish there was a magic way to give myself an extra couple of hours a day!

tilder Tue 05-Jan-16 13:11:32

Sorry I can't offer any tips.

I will shortly be on the other side. Before I had the kids I had a horse on long term loan. Am now starting to look around for a share. I think my wish list might be a little optimistic though!

Good luck with finding someone.

soundedbetterinmyhead Tue 05-Jan-16 18:23:43

If its just a rider that you want, why not advertise to the local pony club to see if an experienced youngster is interested to come and school, say twice a week for an hour. You could agree an hourly rate and pay them. They benefit from riding a pony that wasn't their own and with you riding twice a week too, he'd stay reasonably fit for you. And no-one touching your stuff.

Catscatsandmorecats Tue 05-Jan-16 19:44:27

Oh good luck tilder I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy.

sounded sadly although I can afford to keep dpony, that is all I can afford on a regular basis, and she really is low maintenance. We dont have anywhere to school either! If I had the money, I'd move her to a yard and do just that. Thank you though for the suggestion smile

balancingfigure Wed 06-Jan-16 13:22:35

Does she really need to be ridden more regularly though? I know you feel she is wasted but if she is happy in the field and with the frequency you ride her you don't have to get a sharer.

I know some ponies do get unhappy or naughty with light work but it doesn't sound like yours does. Then you can just enjoy her when you can without the extra stress of a sharer!

tilder Wed 06-Jan-16 18:17:09

Thank you cats. Am a bit nervous to be honest! If you have any advice from an owners perspective would be great.

Good luck with your pony. She's lucky to have you.

Catscatsandmorecats Wed 06-Jan-16 21:54:31

Thanks balancing, at the moment, no, she's fine but come the spring and the grass she will do. Even with careful management of her grazing, exercise has always been the best way to stop her getting too fat.

tilder you sound lovely so I don't think you need to do anything. Be yourself and keep the communication up with whoever you end up sharing with. Much as I have had some issues sharing has really worked well for me and dpony smile

muddiboots Wed 06-Jan-16 23:06:32

I think this generally is the issue with sharers, they know you are there to pick up the slack and don't have the same level of comittement , generally.
I think a full loan from current yard might give you a better option, they won't be expecting you to get her fit etc. But you could still keep an eye.
Try advertising on your local pony club Facebook page or newsletter, you are more likely to get horsey parents.

Catscatsandmorecats Mon 11-Jan-16 10:57:54

muddiboots (love the username) Thanks, I have been trying to avoid a full loan as I still have time to time a couple of times a week and get to the odd lesson and event. I also need to stay on top of the loading issue - if she goes on full loan and they want to travel her (even from our current yard) I can't be there every time and I don't want her going backwards again.

I am thinking hard, my instructor has some thoughts so I'm going to catch up with her this week.

Sharers can be invested - I started part loaning from the lady who bred dpony and was completely invested. I did what I was asked to and learned a lot from her. I do understand that with ponies, especially novice rides, you will get inexperienced riders but that does not mean to say they can't be responsible and committed.

bimandbam Wed 13-Jan-16 07:12:14

Why don't you specify a small adult rather than a teen? Make some reason up like not allowing teenagers unsupervised on the yard or something? And specify she is just to be used as a happy hacker due to loading/travel issues?

If someone does contact you who is a teen you can always request a phone call from their parents to suss them out.

DraughtyWindow Wed 13-Jan-16 12:43:23

Have you thought about working livery? Would also suggest you visit the BHS website and download their loan agreement... What about offering part week loan on specific days at an amount per day? Have you contacted or advertised with your local Pony Club?

Catscatsandmorecats Sat 16-Jan-16 05:55:21

Thanks BIM and draughty I bit the bullet and advertised, I've been super honest in the advert so I am hoping I'll find someone.

Funnily enough, I emailed the school I started riding at to see if they take working liveries yesterday. I'll see what they say.

I've had one response, the people sound lovely but I think they were expecting her to just be where the pony club is (they ride at a pony club riding school at the moment) and were a bit taken aback by the thought of hacking. They are going to come and have a look but I don't think she's for them if what they want is a pony you only ever ride in a school or a field. It'll be a culture shock coming from a posh stables to a farm for them! We will see.

DraughtyWindow Sun 17-Jan-16 23:31:25

Good luck - keep us posted :-)

Catscatsandmorecats Mon 18-Jan-16 03:21:21

Well, I might have been a bit judgemental there. The family were lovely, knowledgeable mum with nice kids and all with a great attitude. They are going to do a month's trial starting with a lesson next week.

I'm not getting too excited as it really does have to be right for everyone but feeling a bit more optimistic.

DraughtyWindow Tue 09-Feb-16 15:36:20

How are they getting on? 😃

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now