Talk

Advanced search

would you give up this pony?

(9 Posts)
Shakerlackerboomboom Sat 12-Dec-15 15:28:09

Dd is 3, she's ridden since she was 22 months.
She lost interest in her first pony (once a week)
She had a. 4 month break and she was asking. Had the new pony one day a week for 2 months.
First month she did every Sunday, then twice a month since then.
She seems to have lost interest, never asks etc, but when she's there enjoys it all except riding.
Me and her dad are
Keen riders, do I persever or just give up and stop feeling like I'm throwing money away? And do a traditional riding lesson route when she's bigger?

mrslaughan Sat 12-Dec-15 15:40:33

Stop throwing money away - and go the traditional riding lesson route until she is older.
If she wants a pony later on, the discussion needs to be about it being a commitment.

LittleFeileFooFoo Sat 12-Dec-15 15:54:59

I agree, m&t soon is three, and he had the attention span of a gnat. We actually have to cycle through toys (by putting them in the closet) because he loses interest but a month late wants it again. If she is interested in horses just not riding then save your money, and let her do as much as she likes.

Shakerlackerboomboom Sat 12-Dec-15 16:00:52

I thought so too.
I've paid up until the. 20th but how shall I word ending it?

LittleFeileFooFoo Sat 12-Dec-15 16:17:03

My son is three, I know nothing about m&t
!

Shakerlackerboomboom Sat 12-Dec-15 16:41:04

M &t?

Pixel Sat 12-Dec-15 18:29:40

I would just be honest and say she's a little young to sustain her interest in riding through the winter. She's only 3, people will surely understand. You could say you feel you are wasting the pony rather than your time and money, just to be diplomatic fwink

Catscatsandmorecats Wed 16-Dec-15 01:18:27

My cousin was taken to ride when he was that age, sort of enjoyed it when there but wasn't bothered really. My aunt persevered and he ended up hating horses. I, on the other hand, desperately wanted to ride and my parents were against it, I just wanted it more!

I don't think you can or should force it either way. If your DD wants to ride again in future you can always let her do lessons until she is able to really know what she wants longer term.

I've had several sharers for my pony (I got my own way in the end) and I have always been happier that they were honest and straightforward with me when the time came to move on. The owners will understand.

tootsietoo Wed 16-Dec-15 20:20:17

If you have horses at home and can keep a companion pony to be dragged out of the field whenever your DD feels like riding then keep it. But if you are keeping a pony at livery - get rid of it! I am pretty sure that most children can't make the commitment a pony needs until they are about 12/13. Making your child ride just because you feel you need to because you're paying for the pony is a sure fire way to put them off, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now