Talk

Advanced search

New Horse & turn out…

(5 Posts)
BlueBrightFuture Fri 13-Nov-15 14:25:34

Horse is arriving tomorrow. We have a stable and the plan is to keep the horse in overnight however I would like her to go out during the day. I have to say that I’m a bit apprehensive about introducing her in to a group of other horses, most of whom have been together for some time.

This horses is mainly purchased for my DDs and although they will see to her most evenings after school I don’t want the horse stuck in a stable for most of the week.

My horses never used to go out in the field with others without being separated by a fence and only for a few hours a day as he was worked properly every day.

She is a very sweet mare, not at all dominating…

Wwyd??

MrsCaecilius Fri 13-Nov-15 14:43:11

I'd definitely me keen for her to have as much time in the field as possible, only being in overnight as long as he needs to and as long as the field will cope with being used.

As for an intro, I always used to introduce a new horse to an older, steady buddy member of the herd in a separate field, ideally next to the field with the others in so that they can see and smell each other, and let her get to know the other horse for a few days.

Then finally turn her and the buddy horse out with the others, under supervision, at the end of a week.

Obviously that could all be tailored depending on how they all react, and obviously I wouldn't do any of this in conditions (such as an extra windy day!) that might wind them up more than usual.

Good luck!

snowpo Fri 13-Nov-15 21:58:34

Are you on a regular type yard - I mean not a private one? You might find you don't get a lot of choice in the matter! I've been on a few yards over the years and pretty much if it is group turnout the approach is just to chuck them out and see what happens. Maybe you could turn out early or late for a few days when there are less horses in the field?

BlueBrightFuture Fri 13-Nov-15 22:05:08

Yes, regular yard. Will go down very early this Sunday so she can go out early and perhaps take her in when it gets busy until she gets used to her new home.

CatchIt Mon 16-Nov-15 19:50:54

Yes to buddying her up in a field next to her potential field mates for a few days. When turning them all out together, just hang around for a while to check how it is.

Turn out is so important but do be wary of over excitement!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now