Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New horse drama and feeding in the field

(7 Posts)
Samba1 Mon 09-Nov-15 13:44:28

So we've just set ourselves up with an equestrian pad. We bought our horse who settled in well and then introduced next doors 20 year old cob as some company for her.
Well she's not keen and we had lots of fireworks to begin with. It's settled down a bit. But we always have to catch her first because otherwise she'll go for him knowing he can't get away. It's made the field a tad hostile sometimes and she's a draft! So tad more scary when they go for each other. Also we're having to feed breakfast in the field as no stables. Hubs is away this week so I'm doing it solo tomorrow.

I've had horses and drafts as a kid but am new getting back into it. Any tips???

Booboostwo Mon 09-Nov-15 14:47:33

Do they really need hard feed? If you have to feed them create two pens using electric tape, away from each other, put horses in pens and then bring out buckets. Trying to feed them loose in a field, especially when they don't get on well is a recipe for getting kicked or trampled.

Are you feeding hay in the field? If yes make sure you offer one pile more than the number of horses (so 2 horses need 3 piles) or the dominant horse may chase the other one away from all the food.

Samba1 Mon 09-Nov-15 17:43:45

Unfortunately the old boy needs hard feed and the draft is a bit porky so could do without it. Will try penning them instead of catching them both up at the same time. Was trying to avoid it but can't see another way around it. Not feeding hay as yet but will bear it in mind.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 09-Nov-15 17:48:06

Can you catch her, take her out of the field and tie her up with a hay net/
her feed then feed him in the field?
My mare was an absolute whotsit so didn't share her paddock with anything.

Samba1 Mon 09-Nov-15 21:01:34

Thanks pink poppy I hadn't thought about a hay net instead!

PuppyMouse Mon 09-Nov-15 22:27:09

I've had this issue recently. Yard owner created a sort of airlock around the gate with electric tape that allows one to get in and out without argy-bargy and you can feed one in there and the other just looks on sadly over the fence while my mare still squeals and stamps her hind legs to say piss off.

backinthebox Mon 09-Nov-15 22:36:25

I wouldn't even attempt to feed horses loose in a fired, especially if they are not getting the same amount of feed. One will always bully the other over it. My smallest pony is more than happy to keep all the others moving round the field over piles of hay - if I put hard feed out there would be war! Much safer to feed while separated out if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now